Salsa Verde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Awesome mild green salsa. Use it in spicy dishes or just enjoy it with some chips.

6 tomatillos
1 poblano pepper
1/2 onion
1/2 of one chipotle pepper from a can like this
1 fresh lime, juiced
Small bunch of cilantro
Garlic salt
Pepper

Peel the papery wrappers from the tomatillos and wash them. Slice the tomatillos in half. Clean the stem and seeds from the poblano. Place the tomatillos and poblano on a medium hot grill, skin side down, for 5-7 minutes, just until the skins start to blacken slightly. Place all the veggies, lime juice, and cilantro into a food processor and chop until you reach the desired consistency (traditionally fairly smooth). Season with garlic salt and fresh pepper to taste. Add more chipotles, some jalapeños, or even habañeros to kick up the heat.

I didn't grow Tomatillos this year, but I love their flavor. They keep forever and a day too. Fwiw, anyone ever growing them...you should have more than one as they supposedly need another to help ensure sufficient pollination, but they are self fertile. They usually produce abundantly.

I'll have to remember that. At our new place I've had really cr*ppy luck with our tomatillos. Thinking back, we may have had two plants when we did good with them. Lately it has just been one plant though. We get fruit set, but most don't seem to get bigger than a cherry tomato. Better pollination definitely = bigger fruits in most plants.

Back