Better Bottle Blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxofRain

Reaction score
Anyone know off the top of their head what diameter hose will work with a better bottle for blowoff? I'm confident that a #10 stopper will work but I'm looking for a blowoff tube that will fit directly in this bad boy.

I would think it is probably going to need a 2" diameter hose to fit snug. The #10 stopper is 1" 15/16" at it's largest...

so it might be smaller than 2 inches.

Well the dimensions of a #10 stopper are 1-5/8" at the narrowest point and about 2" at the widest, so it's somewhere in there... I don't think you'll find vinyl tubing anywhere near that big locally - you can find something suitable from mcmaster if you're willing to pay like $5-15 a foot.

But honestly, a blowoff tube that big seems ridiculous - you'd have quite a time trying to get it bent down into a bucket of sanitizer. I think you'd be better off with a compromise, using a #10 stopper drilled with a much larger hole than usual so you can stick something like 1" tubing into it.

I took a #10 stopper and drilled it for the 1.25 tubing that I had on hand and fits my glass carboy. I could not find that large of vinyl tube at the hardware store as stated above. I think I measured it at 1 7/8"

Wow...I didn't realize it was that big. Ok...so I have 1 1/4 for my glass carboy. I'll just drill a #10. Any tips on the best way to drill?

I have a small drill press and used a hole saw. It is not the easiest thing to drill because it squishes under load so you have to do it fairly slow. If I had to do it by hand I would try to secure it in place with a piece of scrap wood underneath it.

I use BBs with #10 stoppers and 3-piece air locks. For blow-off, I install just the base of the air lock and put small diameter tubing (can't remember size, I think it's 1/2 inch) over the hole in the air lock. I've never had the stopper pop off and it shouldn't... unless you use Star-San (w/o rinsing), which I understand can be slippery and essentially lubricate the stopper.

I use BBs with #10 stoppers and 3-piece air locks. For blow-off, I install just the base of the air lock and put small diameter tubing (can't remember size, I think it's 1/2 inch) over the hole in the air lock. I've never had the stopper pop off and it shouldn't... unless you use Star-San (w/o rinsing), which I understand can be slippery and essentially lubricate the stopper.

I use star san w/o rinsing in that same setup and I haven't had an issue...

plastic barbed splicer a #10 stopper and some some vinyl tubing works great and it does not require any modification to the stopper.

I use star san w/o rinsing in that same setup and I haven't had an issue...

As long as the star san dries b4 the pressure gets high it'll be fine.

Good setup. I recommend cutting the cross piece of the bottom of the airlock just in case.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking that I'll use the three piece method until I can get my hands on someone's drill press so I can drill out a #10 .

on my last batch I ran out of airlocks so I took some of my 3/8 racking hose and put it over the "nipple" of an orange carboy cap and the other end into a jug of sanitizer.
Out if the 25 gallons I brewed that day I got lucky and the only two carboys I did this to needed a blowoff tube. It worked great.

Back