Question in regards to "Ring around the Neck"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The famed ring around the neck of a bottle of homebrew. Hopefully you have never seen it. I have it in my bottles of IPA that I bottled last weekend. Only thing though is that it rinses right off with a little bit of water. It isn't the normal Ring around the Neck that takes scrubbing to get off. Ya think the beer is contaminated?:(

:mad: No off flavors, yet. Pisses me off to no end as this is the 3rd bottled batch in a row with the ring. Guess I need to accept it and realize that I have yet to figure out what the issue is. I have tried everything to resolve this.:mad:

Only one thing left, and I won't know if that was it as the batch I bottle will have come into contact with the tube in question. Only batch that has not touched the questionable tube is still in the primary.

I have had a bit of a ring in my last couple of brews. It always looks like little yeast particles though. I just assumed some of my yeasties were doing their conditioning work at the top of the bottle.

No off flavours (in fact my last couple of brews are my best yet)

I have only had this happen once. It was on my chocolate cherry stout. I believe it is fro the chocolate. Yours may, or may not, be a contamination. I had a batch that I believe got contaminated, once, but the only way I found out was because I let a few bottles sit for a long time, about 7 months. When they were opened, they overflowed. Other than that there was nothing wrong with them.

Back