Calling all SS wort chiller owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammacks

Reaction score
I just ordered a SS chiller from Midwest last night. I realized later that do not specify the wall thickness. I hope it is around .020" so the heat transfer is decent. I called and the guy who answered the phone had no idea. I asked to compare the SS and copper chillers and see if he could spot a difference in thickness (assuming copper is .032). He said he isn't a machinist and couldn't tell...

Anyone own a Midwest SS chiller that could measure that thickness?

I have one, but do not have any calipers or a mic to measure. I can get 5.5 G down to tapwater temps in 20 to 25 minutes with a lot of stirring.

Mine leaks if I turn the water pressure on the hose above a trickle. I have tightened the clamps, trimmed the hose, added a second clamp... I got some new fittings to go directly to a garden hose, but am missing a piece, so I dont know if it still leaks.

Oh yeah, I did see a post of yours. I got the one with fittings, so I'll let you know it works with higher pressure.

Used the chiller yesterday. With the brass fittings I wasn't able to measure the tube wall thickness.

Using 62° well water at my Dad's place, 5.5 gallons of wort went from boiling to 70 in almost exactly 20 minutes. I stirred twice, but mostly left it alone.

Back