Holy Smokes!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymike1

Reaction score
I just got the best news of the week!!!!!!

My boss had to quit drinking and smoking cigars by Doctor orders. So me and 3 other co-workers are now going to split up 1500, yes thats no type-o, 1500 cigars and 5 humidors!!!!!! This man has been collecting cigars for about 150 years now, and he's got at least 2 of everything, plus 1 off cigars that he's had hand rolled from all over the world from his travels!!!! I can' get get this **** eating grin off my face!:D Thats how I look right now! He told us that there are even some that companies have made just for him for his birthday, Christmas and New Years!!!

So in return for his generous offer to us, we are going to send him out to one of the nicest restaurants in the DC area. I can't wait to go pick these bad boys up!!!!!!

That's pretyy fricken cool, esp. if you like cigars. I've never smoked one, but joked around with the SWMBO once about taking up fine cigars to go along with fine beer. The look I got from her told me that my joke wasn't the least bit amusing.

I *love* a nice cigar. A nice cigar, a nice martini... now we're talking. I need to make an investment in a decent humidor and humidifier, all of my smokes have completely dried out and are now crap. I've been eyeballing some of the small electronic humidifiers, thinking that it's worth spending a little bit of $$ up-front to be able to buy some good smokes.

I *love* a nice cigar. A nice cigar, a nice martini... now we're talking. I need to make an investment in a decent humidor and humidifier, all of my smokes have completely dried out and are now crap. I've been eyeballing some of the small electronic humidifiers, thinking that it's worth spending a little bit of $$ up-front to be able to buy some good smokes.

Well I'm in the running to get my hands on a 500 count box! ANd yes I do love a nice cigar, to go along with a nice Scotch and a few great beers. The 4 of us are getting the all of this because we all have gone out on the weekends with him for drinks and cigars. Granted it is holy unethical for him to do this, but I don't really care!

I don't see how it's unethical....he can give away anything he wants.
He just wants to know that someone is going to enjoy them.

And to top it all of, my boss is still trying to figure out what to do with him 5000 count WALK IN humidor that he's got in Georgia!!!!!! The box alone is worth $10,000, and thats were he keeps his "real" collection!!!

I don't see how it's unethical....he can give away anything he wants.
He just wants to know that someone is going to enjoy them.

Well, he made the offer infornt of other co-workers and ONLY addressed us. Unethical maybe the wrong word, but I already see the animosity starting already!!! Man, I love my job now! And the best part is, he made the offer to us, right in front of his #1 underling, and he got PISSED!!!!!!! That teaches a very important lesson, don't try to undermine your boss!!!!

:ban::ban::ban::ban:

being a huge cigar lover, it takes a lot of work to maintain a nice collection... I have about 100 cigars left after I had to trash some of my junked cigars...

I have 3 humidors that I keep in a closet along with a humidifier and various digital gauges to measure the humidity of the closet, as well as each humidor...

70% humidity can be a pain in the arse to maintain, esp when the climate outside changes... for instance, this week is humid and damp out so my humidors are running on the high side of 70%... if we get a few sunny days to dry up all the moister in the air they'll drop to the low 70% range and them some...

I'd love to invest in a control climate room but who has the money for that?

enjoy them and don't get lazy like me and loose half your collection :(

by the way, here's a huge place to spend a TON of money!

www.cigarbid.com it's wonderful site to pick up humidors and such for very cheap, also they have daily deals that are unbeatable!

as always, sign up for the newsletters and www.cigar.com I got mine today and it's a nice read, plus they have monthly deals that are great.

being a huge cigar lover, it takes a lot of work to maintain a nice collection... I have about 100 cigars left after I had to trash some of my junked cigars...

I have 3 humidors that I keep in a closet along with a humidifier and various digital gauges to measure the humidity of the closet, as well as each humidor...

70% humidity can be a pain in the arse to maintain, esp when the climate outside changes... for instance, this week is humid and damp out so my humidors are running on the high side of 70%... if we get a few sunny days to dry up all the moister in the air they'll drop to the low 70% range and them some...

Once they've dried out, can they be "saved" (even if sub-optimal)? If I get myself set up right with a good humidor and a good humidification system, will the cigars eventually come back?

(I'm trying to justify spending some $$ so that I don't have to start completely over!)

Ohh I know, I just had to trash the last 15 in my small box. The one box I have is a hand me down from my great grandpa, so I think by best guess it's about 65-75 years old. It's just to old, and it wasn't a good one when it was new, so it doesn't seal very well in the front.

As far as the climate controed room, apperntly my boss has that kinda money. But this has been his hobby for a LONG ass time, so it's been a long time coming for him to get all his nice toys, just like some guys on here have :D

Ohh, just a thought, but would anyone that lives in the DC/ NOVA area be interested in trading cigars for hops??? I think I can part with some since I'm looking at getting about 300:D I am picking them up tomorrow after work, and I will start cataloging what I have and try to track down prices so trades can be made fairly. If your interested PM me!

Mike

Once they've dried out, can they be "saved" (even if sub-optimal)? If I get myself set up right with a good humidor and a good humidification system, will the cigars eventually come back?

(I'm trying to justify spending some $$ so that I don't have to start completely over!)

well, yes and no, I trashed mine b/c they had mold on them and i don't wanna breed cigar beetles, so I trashed them... i cringe doing that.

once they get somewhat dry you can revive them, just make sure your humidors are conditioned and ready... also, the first time you put semi-dry cigars in your humidor expect to have to add more distilled water....

and make sure it's distilled water.

Ohh I know, I just had to trash the last 15 in my small box. The one box I have is a hand me down from my great grandpa, so I think by best guess it's about 65-75 years old. It's just to old, and it wasn't a good one when it was new, so it doesn't seal very well in the front.

As far as the climate controed room, apperntly my boss has that kinda money. But this has been his hobby for a LONG ass time, so it's been a long time coming for him to get all his nice toys, just like some guys on here have :D

ahh... well I look forward to having a climate controlled room... esp one that can deal with the every changing humidity here on the east coast.

ahh... well I look forward to having a climate controlled room... esp one that can deal with the every changing humidity here on the east coast.

Well I asked him about the one he's got in Georgia, and he said it cost about $12,500....mm ust be nice to have that kind of cash to play with...

To the OP, that's pretty nice of your boss.
Here's to his health improving. :mug:

Avallo makes a pretty solid humidor. I own one of their models and love it.
As with brewing, go big or you'll just own tons of smaller stuff.
I do not keep my cigars at 70%. I too think it's very difficult to keep it there even with an automatic system. So I shoot for 65% and like em all the same.

the_bird, you can definitely bring them back like others have mentioned. Just do it slow and easy with a seasoned humidor or your wrapper will crack.

OHHHHHH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! So i picked up the cigars today, I can't begin to describe what I've got!!!! I have about 300 at home now, and I'm baby sitting the hell out of the humidors for a few hours now. I haven't really looked through what I have, I want to wait till the boxes are a little more stable...

But I do know that I have about 25-30 very good "South American" cigars that I can't wait to try. I'm also waiting on one more humidor and about another 150-200 smokes. I am truly overwhelmed with this new found, instant hobby.

:D:D:D:D

So, what does the Fuente selection look like? Any 8-5-8 Sungrowns? I might be interested. (You lucky bastid);)

In case anyone hasn't mentioned this yet, cigars need to be kept below 80dF or they could all be lost! Seriously, there is a tobacco beetle, whose eggs tend to survive the fumigation of the tobacco leaves. These "hatch out" when exposed to a consistent higher temperature. They eat little holes through the cigar and sometimes through the cellophane. I'm sure the cigars you got are fine because it sounds like the previous owner took good care of them, but if I were receiving the quantity of cigars like that, I would thoroughly check them over for those tell-tale, perfectly circular, tiny holes. Any with holes should be separated and disgarded:(. These beetles can spread throughout the collection and ruin other cigars. Many cigar aficionados, when ordering cigars online in the summer months, actually freeze the cigars for a few days upon receipt in order to kill any beetles/larvae that have hatched during shipment. Then they put them in the refrigerator for a day to gradually increase temp. so the cigars don't split open... then into the humidor.

Well I have 2-3 Fuente's that I can see so far. I haven't seen any of those Sungrowns yet, but I'll keep a look out. I have an awesome Havana long seed last night that was just like dessert. I've got 3 of those left and I'm going to hold onto them for a while. I did find one that is a 1990 vintage, which is really cool! One of the other guys got one that is about 55-60 years old!!!

Thanks for he heads up on the beetles, I'll start looking at them closely for the next few days.

So, what does the Fuente selection look like? Any 8-5-8 Sungrowns? I might be interested. (You lucky bastid);)

In case anyone hasn't mentioned this yet, cigars need to be kept below 80dF or they could all be lost! Seriously, there is a tobacco beetle, whose eggs tend to survive the fumigation of the tobacco leaves. These "hatch out" when exposed to a consistent higher temperature. They eat little holes through the cigar and sometimes through the cellophane. I'm sure the cigars you got are fine because it sounds like the previous owner took good care of them, but if I were receiving the quantity of cigars like that, I would thoroughly check them over for those tell-tale, perfectly circular, tiny holes. Any with holes should be separated and disgarded:(. These beetles can spread throughout the collection and ruin other cigars. Many cigar aficionados, when ordering cigars online in the summer months, actually freeze the cigars for a few days upon receipt in order to kill any beetles/larvae that have hatched during shipment. Then they put them in the refrigerator for a day to gradually increase temp. so the cigars don't split open... then into the humidor.

cigar beetles can wipe out your collection, awesome advice!

I enjoyed a nice Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 today to celebrate our 1st place victory... and it was damn good!

I enjoy a good Rocky Patel.
Camacho is my cigar of choice.

I wanted to give you guys this little Link regarding beetles.
There can be much debate on the subject.

Thanks a lot for the link! Very cool.

I have found a few Rocky Patel's in my boxes, haven't gotten around to trying one yet.

Back