First Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:mug:

Hello! I'm fairly new at homebrewing, but I patched this recipe together using "beersmith" and some advice in brewing books (designing great beers, Radical Brewing, etc...) I want to create an Oatmeal Stout out of extract, and some specialty grains. The hops i weren't so sure about, and any criticism/advice on the recipe as a whole is greatly appreciated

Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 35.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 68.97 %
0.80 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 9.20 %
0.80 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9.20 %
0.70 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 8.05 %
0.40 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
1.25 oz Whitbread Golding Variety (WGV) [6.00 %] Hops 26.3 IBU
0.75 oz Northdown [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 13.5 IBU

Overall, I'm brewing for the fun and experience, but I'd like to learn more about formulating recipes and any criticism is greatly appreciated =). Thanks!

-- Jared

You must mash the flaked barley with some base malt (two-row, pale malt, whatever), or it will contribute nothing but starch. It's fairly easy to do a small partial mash, though, so don't be scared. Also, if you want to make an oatmeal stout, you should replace the flaked barley with flaked oats. They will also need to be mashed.

I would also drop the 20 minute hop addition, since you probably don't want any hop flavour, and adjust the bittering hop to get the same IBU.

You need to mash flaked grains in order to get fermentables out of them, but if all you're after is flavour and mouthfeel, flaked barley|oats are just fine steeped.

As Ølbart mentioned you will want to replace the flaked barley with flaked oats if you want an actual oatmeal stout. ;)

Also +1 on losing the flavour addition - you won't really be able to taste it and you can just bump your bittering addition to account for the slight IBU loss.

Back