Hoppy Red Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufad

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making a red ale, and I was hoping for some feedback from you fine folks.

Vol: 2.75 gallons
Estimated OG: 1.059
Estimated IBU: 50
Estimated Color: 14.5 SRM

Grain:
5lbs 2-row
1lbs Munich 10L
4oz C120
4oz C70-80
1oz Roasted Barley
Mash-in at 152F, BIAB single infusion

Hops (60 min boil):
FWH - 0.38oz Simcoe (35 IBU)
15min - 0.5oz Simcoe (15 IBU)
Whirlpool - 0.5oz each of amarillo, centennial, and simcoe
Dry hop - 0.5oz each of amarillo, centennial, and simcoe

Good call on only using 1oz of Roasted Barley, it can easily over power a beer when not used in moderation.

I really like cara-munich, it's sort of a cross between C40 and C120 and lends a really nice red color. I brewed a fresh hop red with C40 and Cara-munich and it turned out really nice -- best beer to date.

I don't see a 60 minute addition on your hop bill. I'd throw in an ounce of magnum for a smooth, subtle bitterness.

I really like cara-munich, it's sort of a cross between C40 and C120 and lends a really nice red color. I brewed a fresh hop red with C40 and Cara-munich and it turned out really nice -- best beer to date.

I don't see a 60 minute addition on your hop bill. I'd throw in an ounce of magnum for a smooth, subtle bitterness.

I haven't been able to source caramunich locally, but I've been keen to try - may have to order some online.

What about the FWH simcoe addition?

Back