Carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I've had an imperial IPA (9.6%abv) in bottles for two weeks now. They've been in my closet, which has a A/C duct running through it's walls, so it was a lot cooler in there than I thought. I used 4.2 oz corn sugar for the just over 5 gallons that I had (between 5-5.25). I cracked on yesterday and it has zero carbonation. I am at a loss. I moved the beer to a warmer spot so hopefully that helps. Anyone had this issue?

Higher ABV takes proportionally more time to carb. I would expect a 9.6% ABV beer to take a good 6-8 weeks at 70F to fully carb. If your closet is cooler than 70F, it will take even longer.

Yeast just work more slowly in higher ABV environments. You shouldn't expect this one to have any carb after two weeks.

Patience!!

Thanks for the input! I always keg, and when I do bottle, it's always a lower abv beer. It's probably near 80f where I moved it. Is that too warm?
I've been brewing for three years, you'd think I'd know this stuff! I literally almost never bottle though.

Most yeast are fine all the way to 98.6F. Yes that is body temp and most biological process occur at their optimum rate at that temp. in the summer i would place bottles for two weeks in my computer room, warmest room, then move them to the basement. the warmer room makes the CO2 while the colder room helps it dissolve into solution. Also i made it a personal rule to wait atleast 12 hours in the fridge before testing.

Back