Monkish Brewing, Torrance, CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Has anyone else been to Monkish? It has been open a few months and their beer is fantastic. They do Belgian inspired beers with their own twist to them. Henry, the owner/brewer is a great guy and I've been able to bring in some homebrew samples for tasting. Stop by the tasting room if you can. I'll probably be in next Saturday afternoon if anyone local wants to meet up.

They're right around the corner from my work, but I've yet to go there. I'm just not into Belgian beers, so I haven't been inclined to try theirs.

I'm hoping "The Dudes' Brewing" gets open soon (in Torrance). I share a parking lot with them, so I know I'll be hanging out trying their stuff. The guy opening it is one of the former Strand Brewing owners.

Yeah, Jeff. I've seen him in Monkish several times. I've been able to chat with him a bit, too. He's had some of my samples over there also. Another great guy.

I would suggest you still go in and try. Henry has done a few with Rose Hips, Lavender and other herbs/botanicals. A few others have been more straight Belgian inspired. None of the beers are super estery or fruity from the yeast character. They all have a bit of restraint in that department. WLP 530 is the house yeast. My favorites so far:

Crux - Belgian single, blonde, one of their firsts, all gone and I hope they make more
Red Table - Amber Ale
Anomaly - Dark brown, almost black, from Carafa Sp III and over 7%
Pour Toi - Belgian Pale dry hopped with Styrian Goldings

Yeah, I'll still make it over there to try some of his beers, but for me, part of the issue with many Belgian beers is the things you just mentioned: "Rose Hips, Lavender and other herbs/botanicals". That's just not what I like in a beer.

I stopped in again last week. Pour Toi is fantastic, and apart from Belgian fermentation characteristics is much more hop forward and much less herbal.

Yeah, I'll still make it over there to try some of his beers, but for me, part of the issue with many Belgian beers is the things you just mentioned: "Rose Hips, Lavender and other herbs/botanicals". That's just not what I like in a beer.
And all the ones I mentioned as favorites are not those. I get the fermentation thing. It's still worth a try.

Ahhh! I went there once after hearing about it from the guys at South Bay Brewing Supply...the tasting room was closed though. Would love to meet some of you brew dudes there!

Great spot! Had the pleasure of going down there yesterday and chatting with the owners. Anomaly and Feminist are amazing beers!

Back