Racking into bottling bucket for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was thinking of racking into secondary for a hefeweizen just to help with clarity. Can I rack into the bottling bucket with a built in spigot? I feel like the inch of space under the interior spigot opening is perfect go collecting sediment.

Thanks for the help!

Best,
Mark

you can if you really want to. However with your hefewizen it shouldn't be really getting clear due to the yeast. Also from experience I know my bottling bucket has a very slow leak at the spigot but a leak none the less. I would just let it ride out the two weeks in the primary and then bottle or if you want to start using a secondary invest in a better bottle as it will reduce the amount of headspace that needs to be purged by the remaining fermentation once you transfer.

But if you use your bottling bucket for a clearing vessel (not a great idea due to the very wide headspace once fermentation has slowed/stopped), how will you mix your priming sugar into the beer without disturbing the sediment on the bottom? I can't picture how that would work.

I'd leave it sit where it is, until it's time to bottle then rack the beer into the priming solution in the bottling bucket.

I would shy away from that. As noted, headspace and mixing your priming sugar could lead to issues. A friend of mine who's been brewing for 10 years, and recently got me into it, just got a conical fermenter. He attempted to add priming solution directly into the fermenter and bottle from there, but 90% of his bottles didn't carb. Not sure if it was due to very little yeast in suspension or if the sugar didn't mix well, but it lead to a less than desirable outcome

Back