How long do people let there beer sit before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also my experience with almost all yeasts, but particularly 1968 London ESB, they tend to drop very clear very quickly.

i must be doing it wrong. that yeast ferments out very quickly for me, but yeast sits on top pretty much forever (at least a week), until i disturb it by racking to secondary, or cold crash the primary. Once it stops floating, it does seem to settle very quickly.

I've been ramping up the temp gradually for a week tho, and right now it's still at 72. perhaps if I let it fall back down to ambient room tepm of 65 or so it would stop floating.

i must be doing it wrong. that yeast ferments out very quickly for me, but yeast sits on top pretty much forever (at least a week), until i disturb it by racking to secondary, or cold crash the primary. Once it stops floating, it does seem to settle very quickly.

I don't use the London ESB yeast often, but my favorite yeast at home, 1469, is wont to leave a layer of krausen on top long after the beer has conditioned and dropped bright, sometimes for weeks. If the gravity is stable, it tastes conditioned, and the beer is clear underneath, I just rack from underneath it and into the cask it goes.

I go two weeks and start checking the gravity.

That being said, I brewed a extract Weizenbock and have a problem.:eek:
6 lbs Briess wheat dme
1 lb Briess pilsner dme
2 cups sugar
hops, irish moss zest of two oranges, etc.

I used one packet of Safebrew WB-06 yeast.

Two weeks later I start checking the gravity. I repeatedly get 1.014 over a 4 day period.
FG of 1.014, a little higher than I wanted, oh well...

I bottled with 6.2 oz of table sugar to achieve 3.75 volumes of CO2, as per "brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator"
(German Wheat Beer 3.3 - 4.5 volumes)

Now two days after bottling both of my plastic test bottles are hard i.e. carbonated. :mad:

I'm debating
(1.) dumping it all back into the fermenter,
(2.) pasteurizing the whole batch, or
(3.) dumping half the batch back into the fermenter and pasteurizing the other half.

any thoughts anyone :confused:

That's a hefty amount of carbonation. I'd expect to see most of it in a couple days. That's not surprising. If you bottled in regular longneck 12 oz bottles I'd be wary, as that's on the high end of what they're capable of handling.

Your fermentation was most likely fine. Don't go dumping back in the fermenter. All you'll do is oxidize your beer.

Yeah, Brewer's friend called for 3.3 to 4.5 volume co2. Usually my test bottles don't get hard for at least a week.
I think my Grolsch bottles will be okay, the 15 long necks might be interesting.

Is it normal for a higher carbonation beers to carb up quickly?
Tks

I think I will open one of the long necks tonight, in the interest of science, ahem😉

Nummy :mug:

Definitely taste banana notes, :ban: and some clove :D

Here's hoping those long necks don't pop... ;)

Gonna keep an eye on the Grolsch bottle washers, make sure they don't start pushing out.
(wow, nice buzz, only 7.9% ABV).:tank:

DadsWeizenbock.jpg

Additional question related to the OP: does the fermentation/fermenter conditioning before bottling time vary for batch size? Will a 1 gallon take the same amount of time as a 30 gallon?

From what I understand, there is no perfect answer, and it is just another part of the recipe you can tweak for desired results - but in general, patience pays off.

Back