Wit hop options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Belgian Wit this weekend. I am working from NB's recipe which calls for a single hop addition of 2oz of 4% AA Hersbrucker at 60min for an IBU estimate of 31.

I have 2oz of Hersbrucker but they are much lower AA, 2.6% in fact. Does anyone have any suggestions of other hops to use? I have a pretty banging hop freezer at the moment, just short of Hersbrucker.

Thanks!!

If you happen to have any sorachi ace, try that. I haven't used it in a wit, but I made a sorachi single-hop IPA and I think it would be great in a wit. It really does taste very lemony. I'm going to make one this summer.

Out of S Ace, too :-( I have:
Amarillo
Cascade
Columbus
Simcoe
Willamette
Perle
Magnum
Centennial
Citra
Styrian Aurora
EKG
Chinook

If the only hop addition is at 60 min, you could use almost anything you wanted, from your list id pick magnum or columbus.

I go a little out of style with mine, and use .5oz of citra and amarillo late in the boil. Those flavors work well with the coriander and orange peel IMO, so it doesn't really seem out of style.

Do you mean half ounce each late in addition to a Bittering addition or do you get your IBU from those late additions? Sounds neat. Interested to hear more about the idea!

I can attest to the hopping of a wit to not matter. I brewed 5 gallon batches side by side off of one mash and I hopped one with cascade and one with hallertauer and the two beers came out tasting exactly the same, both absolutley delicious as well, just could not tell the difference since there is so much other stuff going on in a wit i assume...

Also is plain dried orange peel (crushed) suitable? I cant find any of the specifically made for brewers bitter or sweet versions...

Go with colombus or magnum for super clean bittering, possibly perle if you want a bit of mint in there. I would say that the orange peel should be of the bitter variety to stay within style but if fresh or home dried is all you have it should work out fine.

Back