Why do IPA's ferment stronger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgremark

Reaction score
I have about 60 batches under my belt and it always seems that IPA's always go crazy! Last night my other half woke me up and said get up your beer is going crazy! I said it was alright and rolled over, well guess what? The top of the bubbler blew and I have a big splatter on the ceiling! LOL

Does anyone have the same experience?

Did you put rye in it? I swear rye is some kind of fermentation rocket fuel.

Aside from that, an IPA is just a pale ale with extra hops in it, so I don't think hops have much to do with fermentation... but then, I'm kinda a noob.

No rye

1.5 oz Columbus pellet (US)hops (Bittering)
1.5 oz Simcoe pellet (US) hops (Flavor)
1.5 oz Centennial pellet (UK)hops (Finishing)

I was wondering about the hops...........

Huh... I've brewed about 25 maybe, so I'll let some brew master answer this one.

My IPAs are usually an above average OG so that the bitterness gets balanced out by a good malt backbone. If yours are the same then maybe it's all the available sugars that are leading to the highly active fermentation.

I also go above OG, actually I add usually 3lbs of light DME and 1lb of sugar LOL to a 5 gal batch! I also go about 14lbs of 2 row. I also go above on all my brews and my IPA's always blow! (But they taste exellent)

That may be it Dreg! Thanks

I just had a 1040 blueberry ale with around 20% wheat have an explosive fermentation at 64 degrees. No fermentation is the same, I had a 1070 ipa have a nice slow gradual fermentation. Both all grain both 1056 yeast and both same pitching temp and ferm temp.

Interesting, I have brewed 5 batches and my one IPA batch is the only one that needed a blowoff. Crazy fermentation starting 4-5 hours after pitching yeast. I don't even make a starter, just poured out of the smack pack.

Because they simply taste better. If you were yeast, would you rather be fermenting in hooch or an IPA?

Lolz,good point P. My IPA was out-gassing like me in the tub after beer-n-bbq. No krausen coming out,just strings of big yeast fart bubbles.
I did use a small starter on it to cut lag time,but geez...It was at the low end of 14A gravity wise.

i am at about the same brewing batch number as you and all i can say is it is your yeast or your ferment temp (or both). i have seen this, but only with certain yeasts, usually english. i use s-05 on all my IPA's and DIPA's and have never seen it happen with that, although it does ferment strongly.

I used the 7g cooper's ale yeast sachet in a small starter for a few hours. In some 9hrs,it was fortunate to have a blow off on it.

Back