agave nectar in cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7

Reaction score
was considering brewing a mexican cerveza style beer and adding 12.5 oz of light agave nectar to boil, has anyone had expirience doing this? how would it turn out, what should i expect?

. . . how would it turn out, what should i expect?
Would add nothing but simple sugar and make your wort more fermentable. Not saying that's a bad thing if you're looking to dry it out a little, just that agave would be an expensive way to do it.

ive learned that agave is the main fermentable sugar in tequila. would it add a hint of tequila flavor?

Would add nothing but simple sugar and make you wort more fermentable. Not saying that's a bad thing if you're looking to dry it out a little, just that agave would be an expensive way to do it.

I used it once and yes it makes it dryer , no tequila flavour, and more expensive.

well i already have the nectar, i guess if I do it, itll at least sound cool to say it was brewed with agave nectar lol. thanks for the input everyone.

well i already have the nectar, i guess if I do it, itll at least sound cool to say it was brewed with agave nectar lol. thanks for the input everyone.

You can use it on pancakes. If you want tequilla flavor you could add, well, tequilla.

I made a wine from agave nectar once. It tasted like a sweet, fruity white (grape) wine. The flavor had NOTHING in common with tequila, but it was quite pleasant.

I added a 1/4 cup to my boil for a vienna lager just hoping to add some Mexican flavor to it. Could not find any fermentable info on it. It's still lagering.

I used 1lb of agave nectar in my last saison to replace the belgian candy sugar my friend uses in his recipe. Only my first time using it, so don't take this as gospel, but I believe the agave didn't fully ferment. I'll have to try to find some information of the fermentability of agave compared to say, honey.

I make a damned good blonde with 25% raw agave nectar- it doesn't much change the color, but it certainly adds a unique flavor. I add it at flameout and stir it in before i begin cooling the wort.

Use the darkest agave nectar you can find. The light stuff is no different than honey

Back