Is all dogfish head beer expensive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palo santo marron for 14.99 in socal, price is typical for DFH

Def worth it for that IMO, how many beers are aged in gigantic Palo Santo tanks?

That beer is soooo good with 2+ years on it.

shipyard's "pumpkin head" is one of the best most years. last year the pumpkin head was crap. the year before last it was spectacular. this year it was great. shipyards pumpkin head is one of the best in a good season, and mediocre in an off, but that's a small brewery for you.

Oh god, it tasted like bad cider this year. Even their imperial version, smashed pumpkin, was terrible. Just horrible. I gave away 4 bottles of pumpkin head because I couldn't bear the thought of choking down another bottle.

I dont know, there is good beer out there for friggin cheap! My favorite beer "Konig Ludwig which is a weiss beer which is delicious and is only 2.20 canadian for a 500 ml bottle. I am a beer snob, I will admit it, also being a home brewer I know how cheap it is to make good beer. Thus I always him or haw when buying a 4 pack of beer at the price of $15 that I may not even like. I purchased Sierra Nevadas "Celebration ale" which I will highly recommened, it came in a 6 pack for 8 US. I understand the buisness point of view, heck they have a tv show, so I can understand that people will probably pay what ever they ask for just because of their popularity.

Anyways I suppose im ranting.

cheers!

"while drinking "La Binchoise Blonde" from Belgium, another amazing beer at $2 canadian a bottle

I don't buy dogfish because it's popular, I buy it because I love Palo Santo, Chicory Stout, Midas Touch, ImmortAle, Burton Baton, Olde School Barleywine, Theobroma, WWS, Festina Peche (depending on the batch)... and I had to at least try My Antonia, Pangaea, Sah'Tea, Fort, etc.

It's interesting beer that typically costs a lot to buy because it's generally ridiculous. Look at the list I just made, and think about what goes into each of those beers. Not a single of of them is 'normal', of course it's going to be expensive to buy.

A typical weissbier is of average ABV and is lightly hopped. Thus, the price is lower.

I hate it when people get worked up over craft beer prices. Yea, its expensive compared to BMC. Craft brewers are making a LOT less beer, spending more time aging it, and often putting in more raw materials for the higher gravity and highly hopped beers. Yea they are going to be more expensive. Are you going to drink 6 or more DFH 90 min IPAs in one night, I doubt it. We have such a huge variety of beer available to us now, from some of the best breweries in the world, and you are complaining about price? Just go back to your 30 packs of Busch Light and call it a day. The fact is that most of us in the US can go down to the beers store and pick up a 750mL bottle of some of the finest beer in the entire world for less than $30. Can that be said about wine?

Quoted for truth. I'm a scotch drinker and most of my collection averages around $150+ per bottle. Good beer is worth paying for IMO.

I went to my local liqure store and saw dogfish head for the 1st time. It was their 90 minute ipa. The price tag was $15 plus tax for a 4 pack!!

I just noticed my LBS had 90min, and it was $24.95 for a 4 pack lol

Needless to say I did not buy

I tried to purchase a few bottle of DFH World Wide Stout, but when the cashier said they were $8+ a bottle, I decided against it.

I hate it when people get worked up over craft beer prices. Yea, its expensive compared to BMC. Craft brewers are making a LOT less beer, spending more time aging it, and often putting in more raw materials for the higher gravity and highly hopped beers.

For me it's not about craft beer vs. BMC. It is DFH vs other craft beers. It's still way too expensive.

Prices of 6-packs at the store by my house:

DFH 60min $11.99
DFH 90min $13.99 (!) that's for a 4 pack
Stone IPA, Lagunitas IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo: $9.99
Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale $6.99

If I want an IPA I am pretty much never buying the DFH. If I just want something that tastes good and is hoppy, I'll get the Fire Rock.

For me it's not about craft beer vs. BMC. It is DFH vs other craft beers. It's still way too expensive.

DFH 60min $11.99

If I want an IPA I am pretty much never buying the DFH. If I just want something that tastes good and is hoppy, I'll get the Fire Rock.

1) Your local store sucks, find one that isn't gouging you. BevMo, for example, is way cheaper than that. And Total Wine (2 in OC, one in the Valley, one in the IE) is WAY cheaper than that. For everything.
2) Why include a random pale ale in the selection?

I was one of the active participants in lamenting Rogue having expensive brews.....because they make fairly simple beers and charge rather high prices for them. If you look at what goes into any given DFH beer...the prices just aren't high. It still surprises me how many homebrewers are missing that. Like it or don't, but if you don't see why DFH 90 costs more than Kona Fire Rock Pale ale....well

Oh, and for everyone talking about Sierra Nevada being cheap in comparison....check out the prices for Hoptimum or any of the 30th Anniversary beers.

DFH 60min $11.99

those prices are a little high. Over here its 8.99 for a 6 pack of 60 min and 9.99 for a 4 pack of 90 min

I was one of the active participants in lamenting Rogue having expensive brews.....because they make fairly simple beers and charge rather high prices for them. If you look at what goes into any given DFH beer...the prices just aren't high. It still surprises me how many homebrewers are missing that. Like it or don't, but if you don't see why DFH 90 costs more than Kona Fire Rock Pale ale....well

I know exactly why it costs more. I was replying to the comment that this was about craft beer vs BMC, which it's not. The Kona Pale Ale is there to show that if I want good craft brew I can get it for much less and still be quite satisfied. In fact more satisfied as I'm not a fan of 90 minute...way too syrupy IMO.

All craft brewery "specialty" batches are high priced, it doesn't matter what brewery it is. But the problem with DFH is nearly everything they do is a "specialty" batch.

Yeah it's cheaper at BevMo or Total Wine, but guess what? So are all the other beers, too. However, I still sometimes buy beer at my local store because I can walk there.

As a brewer I think of the higher priced beers I drink as "research and devolopment" How would I know that I wanted to make a 90 minute clone if I did not know what they tasted like?

As a brewer I think of the higher priced beers I drink as "research and devolopment" How would I know that I wanted to make a 90 minute clone if I did not know what they tasted like?

I am making a Bell's Two Hearted clone and I've never had the real beer. We'll see how it goes! :rockin:

DFH 60min $11.99

good lord, you again?? as i said before...

Local IPA $9.99
Local IPA $9.99
Local IPA $9.99
IPA from the other side of the freaking country $11.99

do you really not understand? don't hate the brewery, hate the distributor.

here in WIS, D60 and and all your local ipas are the same price. Rouge, however, is more expensive....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/discovery-cancels-brewmasters-216041/index2.html#post2572421

good lord, you again?? as i said before...

Local IPA $9.99
Local IPA $9.99
Local IPA $9.99
IPA from the other side of the freaking country $11.99

do you really not understand? don't hate the brewery, hate the distributor.

here in WIS, D60 and and all your local ipas are the same price. Rouge, however, is more expensive....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/discovery-cancels-brewmasters-216041/index2.html#post2572421

Victory stuff is the same price as local stuff. Pretty sure that's on the other side of the freaking country, too.

Expensive is a very relative term. Something expensive to me might not be to the next guy. But if the OP is asking is it all expensive to BMC and most of the other stuff at your everyday grocery store then the answer is yes. However, as most things in life, you get what you pay for. Is the cost worth the labor and quality? To me it is. Could it be cheaper? Hell yes it could.

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but a lot of this also is dictated by the state you live in. Some states have significantly higher alcohol taxes than others, like my state of VA. I curse it everyday (particularly since I sell wholesale wine for a living, so I'm constantly talking to customers who are upset that they can buy the same wine online at retail from another state for less than what it costs them to buy it wholesale here in VA).

bovineblitz said:
You live in Delaware. He lives in California. Shipping across the country costs money.

Stone IPA cost the same as 60 min IPA over here. How much is stone in Cali?

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

In northern Cal, at BevMo:

oaked AB and ruination $15/6-pk
22 oz bottles (AB, IPA, etc) range from $4 to $6 or more depending on type.

Alright, here's a little list of the IPAs that are available in multipacks from my local beer store that doesn't have crazy gouging liquor store prices. I picked the ones that I actually enjoy and would drink (and some mentions from the thread):
http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store/totalwine/beer-totalwine-ranchocucamonga.pdf

Avery IPA (CO): $7.99/6pk
Anderson Valley Racer 5 IPA (CA): $6.99/6pk
Ballast Point Big Eye IPA (CA): $8.99/6pk
Dogfish 60 (DE): $8.99/6pk
Dogfish 90 (DE): $8.49/4pk
Firestone Union Jack IPA (CA): $9.49/6pk
Flying Dog IPA (MD): $7.49/6pk
Flying Dog Double Dog DIPA (MD): $7.99/4pk
Green Flash West Coast IPA: $7.99/4pk
Great Divide Titan IPA (CO): $10.49/6pk
Lagunitas IPA (CA): $7.99/6pk
New Belgium Ranger (CA): $6.99/6pk
Oskar Blues GUBNA Imperial IPA (CO): $14.99/4pk
Sierra Nevada Torpedo (CA): $6.99/6pk
Stone IPA (CA): $7.99/6pk
Stone Ruination IPA (CA): $11.99/6pk
Victory Hop Devil (PA): $7.99/6pk
Victory Hop Wollop (PA): $9.99/6pk

So comparing actual apples to apples (IE: beer prices across the same store, for the same style) Dogfish Head is...midrange. It's not the cheapest beer out there, it's not the most expensive. Also, the difference between the cheapest beers (New Belgium and SN) and the rest is like....$1-2 a 6 pack. For me, I'll pay an extra $2 to get something if I prefer it.

Sounds like some of you guys have Joe Liquor Store Owner who saw DFH on TV and decided to jerk up the prices. Although, at my local store, since the TV show came out, they have ZERO stock of DFH beers. Not a single one of them. So demand looks to have shot up too, possibly beyond current supplies. But the notion that they're somehow overpriced? Silly.

So, my personal summary of this thread:
- Some people have store owners that mark Dogfish WAY up.
- Some people prefer their local IPA to other, national IPAs
- Some people are more than happy with the more mellow and cheap IPAs like SN Torpedo
- Some people don't like higher priced special edition beers as a rule, and DFH makes a lot of them

Dogfish's multipacks are comparably priced to the competition, their special beers are also competitively priced and typically include ingredients that make them more difficult to brew and also more expensive. Yes, the 18% ABV Stout is fairly expensive. Can anyone think of a cheaper 18% ABV stout?

If we're declaring DFH too expensive, we're basically declaring craft beer as a whole too expensive.

Alright, here's a little list of the IPAs that are available in multipacks from my local beer store that doesn't have crazy gouging liquor store prices. I picked the ones that I actually enjoy and would drink (and some mentions from the thread):
http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store/totalwine/beer-totalwine-ranchocucamonga.pdf

Avery IPA (CO): $7.99/6pk
Anderson Valley Racer 5 IPA (CA): $6.99/6pk
Ballast Point Big Eye IPA (CA): $8.99/6pk
Dogfish 60 (DE): $8.99/6pk
Dogfish 90 (DE): $8.49/4pk
Firestone Union Jack IPA (CA): $9.49/6pk
Flying Dog IPA (MD): $7.49/6pk
Flying Dog Double Dog DIPA (MD): $7.99/4pk
Green Flash West Coast IPA: $7.99/4pk
Great Divide Titan IPA (CO): $10.49/6pk
Lagunitas IPA (CA): $7.99/6pk
New Belgium Ranger (CA): $6.99/6pk
Oskar Blues GUBNA Imperial IPA (CO): $14.99/4pk
Sierra Nevada Torpedo (CA): $6.99/6pk
Stone IPA (CA): $7.99/6pk
Stone Ruination IPA (CA): $11.99/6pk
Victory Hop Devil (PA): $7.99/6pk
Victory Hop Wollop (PA): $9.99/6pk

So comparing actual apples to apples (IE: beer prices across the same store, for the same style) Dogfish Head is...midrange. It's not the cheapest beer out there, it's not the most expensive. Also, the difference between the cheapest beers (New Belgium and SN) and the rest is like....$1-2 a 6 pack. For me, I'll pay an extra $2 to get something if I prefer it.

Sounds like some of you guys have Joe Liquor Store Owner who saw DFH on TV and decided to jerk up the prices. Although, at my local store, since the TV show came out, they have ZERO stock of DFH beers. Not a single one of them. So demand looks to have shot up too, possibly beyond current supplies. But the notion that they're somehow overpriced? Silly.

So, my personal summary of this thread:
- Some people have store owners that mark Dogfish WAY up.
- Some people prefer their local IPA to other, national IPAs
- Some people are more than happy with the more mellow and cheap IPAs like SN Torpedo
- Some people don't like higher priced special edition beers as a rule, and DFH makes a lot of them

Dogfish's multipacks are comparably priced to the competition, their special beers are also competitively priced and typically include ingredients that make them more difficult to brew and also more expensive. Yes, the 18% ABV Stout is fairly expensive. Can anyone think of a cheaper 18% ABV stout?

If we're declaring DFH too expensive, we're basically declaring craft beer as a whole too expensive.

First of all DAMN YOU! :mug: I lived in Rancho Cucamonga while I was going through BMW school. That is the only place worth a damn in CA! Beautiful town... nice people... Victorian Gardens... etc. I lived off the 210 and Haden up on the hill. Secondly that is some decent prices on that stuff.

This is all the prices from Spec's in Houston, TX

Each Case Case
Description Size Price Price Size

DOGFISH HEAD 120 MINUTE IPA 5.25G 219.99 [ 1]
* 1/6 BARREL KEG [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD 60 MINUTE IPA 15.5 G 205.86 [ 1]
* 1/2 BARREL KEG [U.S.A.]
DOGFISH HEAD 60 MINUTE IPA 5.29G 97.11 [ 1]
* 1/6 BARREL KEG [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD 60 MINUTE IPA 12 OZ 10.52 38.82 [ 4]
* 6PK [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD 90 MINUTE IPA 15.5 G 270.52 [ 1]
* 1/2 BARREL KEG [U.S.A.]
DOGFISH HEAD 90 MINUTE IPA 5.29G 123.00 [ 1]
* 1/6 BARREL KEG
DOGFISH HEAD 90 MINUTE IPA 12 OZ 10.41 57.31 [ 6]
* 4PK NRB [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD APRIHOP * 1/2 15.5G 192.92 [ 1]
BARREL KEG [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD APRIHOP * 4PK 12 OZ 9.80 54.45 [ 6]
BOTTLE [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD CHATEAU JIAHU 750ml 13.67 152.66 [12]
* 750ML BOTTLE [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD IMMORT ALE (SEASONAL) 5.29G 200.68 [ 1]
1/6 BARREL [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD INDIAN BROWN 12 OZ 9.00 33.36 [ 4]
ALE * 6PK LNNRB [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD MIDAS TOUCH * 5.29G 148.89 [ 1]
1/6 BARREL KEG [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD MIDAS TOUCH * 12oz 12.62 71.22 [ 6]
4PK NRB [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD PALO SANTO MARRON 12OZ 15.34 85.21 [ 6]
* 4PK BOTTLES [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD PUNKIN ALE * 15.5G 206.99 [ 1]
1/2 BARREL KEG [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD PUNKIN ALE * 12oz 9.80 54.45 [ 6]
4PK LNNRB [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD RAISON DETRE 12 OZ 9.00 33.36 [ 4]
* 6PK LNNRB [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD RAISON EXTRA 5.29G 252.47 [ 1]
* 1/6 BARREL KEG [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD SNOWBLOWER (SEASONAL) 15.5G 192.92 [ 1]
* 1/2 BARREL KEG [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD SQUALL IPA * 750ML 9.46 106.80 [12]
750ML BOTTLE [USA]
DOGFISH HEAD THEOBROMA * 750ML 750ML 15.78 151.52 [12]
BOTTLE [USA]

I hate it when people get worked up over craft beer prices. Yea, its expensive compared to BMC. Craft brewers are making a LOT less beer, spending more time aging it, and often putting in more raw materials for the higher gravity and highly hopped beers. Yea they are going to be more expensive. Are you going to drink 6 or more DFH 90 min IPAs in one night, I doubt it. We have such a huge variety of beer available to us now, from some of the best breweries in the world, and you are complaining about price? Just go back to your 30 packs of Busch Light and call it a day. The fact is that most of us in the US can go down to the beers store and pick up a 750mL bottle of some of the finest beer in the entire world for less than $30. Can that be said about wine?

I totally agree. To me craft brew is the same as fine wine. You get what you pay for. People have no problem shelling out $15, $20, $30 or more for a bottle of wine but wouldn't think of spending $10 for beer unless they were getting a case. And that is fine.
The most expensive bottled beer I've ever bought were 4-packs of Founder's Nemesis and Founder's Devil Dancer each at $19.99. With each being 12% abv. it's not like you are going to put very many away in a given night. If you go to a brewery you are going to spend $5-6 on a pint anyway so what is the difference? I was at a local hang out a few weeks ago and had a draft of Bell's Expedition Stout and a Founders Backwoods Bastard. Each was $6 and came in a 10 oz. sniffer. That's just the way it is.

I totally agree. To me craft brew is the same as fine wine. You get what you pay for. People have no problem shelling out $15, $20, $30 or more for a bottle of wine but wouldn't think of spending $10 for beer unless they were getting a case. And that is fine.
The most expensive bottled beer I've ever bought were 4-packs of Founder's Nemesis and Founder's Devil Dancer each at $19.99. With each being 12% abv. it's not like you are going to put very many away in a given night. If you go to a brewery you are going to spend $5-6 on a pint anyway so what is the difference? I was at a local hang out a few weeks ago and had a draft of Bell's Expedition Stout and a Founders Backwoods Bastard. Each was $6 and came in a 10 oz. sniffer. That's just the way it is.

Six packs around here are $9 minimum. Those beers on tap would probably be $7-8 as well.

The prices I'm seeing in this thread make me jealous :p

The prices I'm seeing in this thread make me jealous

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure which prices you are referring to but I have a Meijer chain store by me that has some great prices. Torpedo at $7.49, Dirty Bastard, Reds Rye $10.15, Arrogant Bastard 22 oz. $3.99, Old Guardian $5.99, 2011 Hopslam and Expedition Stout $16.69, 4-packs Double Trouble $9.99.

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure which prices you are referring to but I have a Meijer chain store by me that has some great prices. Torpedo at $7.49, Dirty Bastard, Reds Rye $10.15, Arrogant Bastard 22 oz. $3.99, Old Guardian $5.99, 2011 Hopslam and Expedition Stout $16.69, 4-packs Double Trouble $9.99.

Back in AZ Hopslam would run me about $60-$65 for a case of 24

SumnerH said:
Their problem is an obsession with uber-big one-offs that tend to be overpriced and have many more failures than successes--somehow they're held up as the premier east coast brewery when plenty of breweries on the east coast like Allagash, Portsmouth, Cigar City, Foothills, etc have much more consistently good offerings even among rarities and one-offs than Dogfish does (so do Bell's, Three Floyd's, Founder's, and Goose Island in the midwest or Russian River, Lost Abbey, Stone, and Alesmith on the West Coast just to pick a few at random).

See, I gotta disagree with you on some of these breweries. I think Goose Island is probably the most overrated micro around. Founder's is OK without standing out. I used to live in Kalamazoo and as a result, I lived at Bells. I loved being a part of that brewery culture and their cherry ale is to die for, but most of their stuff is supremely overrated, relying heavily on non-balanced over-hopped recipes.

I'm currently doing most of my business in Tampa and as a result, I get a lot of cigar city. It's good, but I'd much rather have a dfh 60 or 90 than anything they put out.

I really like Levitation from stone, but I think most of their stuff is overrated. Their Oaked Arrogant Bastard is strong, but after those two, it's not worth my time.

Long and short of my tirade is not to say I'm right and you are wrong. It's to point out that what you (and others) are stating as fact (dfh not quality/overrated) is really nothing more than an opinion stated as fact. Your opinion is fine. Just please don't make it sound any more authoritative than that.

Don't get me wrong, I love craft beer and respect the hard work put into it, I was just suprised by the price tag, compared to some amazing oregon breweries where its like $8/6 pack. But I will give Dog Fish Head a thumbs up for many, many original type of beers.

Jason for cheap beer in the Abbotsford area, I have to give it to Bowen Island. It's cheaper than the BMC beers and tastes better.
But all that being said, I made 5 gallons of cream ale today for less than $20 (closer to $16)
Variety is nice, but now when I get a craving I start plotting out the next batch. (Scottish Ale I think)

I'm referring to prices in Massachusetts

I think Goose Island is probably the most overrated micro around.

I lived at Bells...but most of their stuff is supremely overrated

I really like Levitation from stone, but I think most of their stuff is overrated.

Dude, is there any brewery that isn't overrated to you? Talk about hatin'.

See, I gotta disagree with you on some of these breweries. I think Goose Island is probably the most overrated micro around. Founder's is OK without standing out. I used to live in Kalamazoo and as a result, I lived at Bells. I loved being a part of that brewery culture and their cherry ale is to die for, but most of their stuff is supremely overrated, relying heavily on non-balanced over-hopped recipes.

I'm currently doing most of my business in Tampa and as a result, I get a lot of cigar city. It's good, but I'd much rather have a dfh 60 or 90 than anything they put out.

I really like Levitation from stone, but I think most of their stuff is overrated. Their Oaked Arrogant Bastard is strong, but after those two, it's not worth my time.

Long and short of my tirade is not to say I'm right and you are wrong. It's to point out that what you (and others) are stating as fact (dfh not quality/overrated) is really nothing more than an opinion stated as fact. Your opinion is fine. Just please don't make it sound any more authoritative than that.

haters hate. i would like to know who exactly is "overrating" goose island

BrewThruYou said:
Dude, is there any brewery that isn't overrated to you? Talk about hatin'.

Allagash, Russian River, New Holland... Do you need more? My point (that was obviously missed) was that stating an entire brewery was overrated based on one or two offerings is silly. I hate when people say that Stone is the best brewery out there when they've only ever had Arrogant Bastard (and don't think that doesn't happen). I can appreciate individual beers without buying into the hype of a brewery as a whole. I'm not hatin'. I'm simply pointing out that these declarations of breweries are based on opinions. They should be stated as such.

I realize I did just that with Goose Island so call me a hypocrite. I've never had anything I like from Goose Island.

what have you had from goose island? sofie? matilda? mild winter?

i'd also venture to say, if you haven't been to their brewpub, you haven't really "had" goose island. over 50% of their tap list usually isn't the stuff they distribute.

Are we talking Cigar City Jai Alai and other 6 pack offerings or are we talking about their offerings in the tap room?

Back