new to forum, and water question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK 05 RS

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the boards here and thought I would start with a question.
I am currently extract brewing and am using bottled water in the fermenter and for top off. As for sanitation, which would be better, tap water from a city water source(seattle) or an ozoneated(sp?) bottled water. Of couse theres the option of boiling which seems to be the only for sure uncontaminated source.
So which is better city water or ozoneated bottled water?

I typically use bottled spring water from my local grocery store...straight from the bottle (not boiled)...I've had no problems. Although you could, I'd not use faucet water as it has come in contact with miles and miles of piping and more prone to bacteria impacts. 'course boiling is always the best, but I like "easy".

Cheers and good luck!

Thank you.
You have confirmed what I had thought, I always have had used bottled,
I am right now experimenting. Im doing a 10 gallon batch, in two 7 gallon fermenters. one half using boiled city water for top off, the other non boiled bottled. I have never had any problems with the bottle water but it is nice to see if there is a taste difference. Im not going to try the unboiled city water, just because it seems obvious even though its clorinated that it would be infected by all the piping and crap it has to go through.
Thank again.
I will discuss my findings in about 4 weeks.

Back