EMERGENCY!! Please help asap!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ara35

Reaction score
Should I bottle this? Does it seem infected? the gravity is 1.020 and it tastes and smells fine. its a milk stout so maybe its lactose. its about 40-50 bottles worth and i dont want to waste my time if its infected. Please respond!!

photo-2.jpg

IMO, if it tastes ok and smells ok, it's ok. Looks like little rafts of leftover krausen to me. I'll bet if you left it in the primary for a few more days, all that stuff would fall out. There may be other opinions....

I would say bottle. You will never know how it will turn out if you don't try. Most likely it will be fine.

I'm definitely a noob but having seen a bunch of pictures of actually contaminated beer, yours looks completely normal. I bottled today and mine looked very similar (only a different color because it is a wheat). If it tastes good I'd say you are golden.

I had a contamination once that looked like leftover krausen bubbles at first, but then grew into a film on the top of the beer.

So watch out for that. But, I agree with everyone. That looks like krausen bubbles.

I still have the panic that I'm seeing that infection again every time I open up a bucket primary and see those bubbles. They've always been Krausen since, though. :)

If it gets filmy or "flakey" though you probably have an infection.

I would still bottle it either way. If it seems like an infection, bottle a few in clear corona bottles or something. If they too are infected, the film ought to show up in the bottles as they prime.

It usually also stinks something awful.

sounds good. there was a film though before i took the picture. i moved it and it broke up. oh well, im trying it. cant hurt. so im thinking 3 carb tabs per bottle for a double milk stout (2 lbs lactose)

WOW relax and suck down a home brew! I thought your house was on fire when I saw the subject of this thread.

Was this beer heavily hopped? If so, hop oils could also cause these weird "slimy" bubbles. If this is the case, then your beer is totally ruined...

Just joking. It look fine to me. As a rule of thumb, unless you see green mold growing on your beer, always bottle it. Beer really changes when bottled and properly conditioned. Trust me, it's much better to crack a disgusting beer than to discard what could have been a great beer based on your judgment of its appearance during fermentation. Fermentation is a very complex process and all sorts of stuff happens while the yeast is doing it's thing. As others have said, let it sit a few more days in your carboy then bottle as usual. You may have have a masterpiece here and you wouldn't know if you dumped it down the sink.

:mug:

yep bottle away. Even if it's bad, it'll still be beer..... perhaps undrinkably bad beer... but beer nonetheless. Pass it off on your least favorite friends and tell em it's a special lambic and it's supposed to taste that way.

But chances are, it won't be bad and you'll end up stashing it away to keep those beer guzzling fiends away from your prized stock of precious brew

Back