"Liquid Bread" Malt Suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew something that really embodies the term liquid bread. I'm looking for a really bready, toasty, grainy beer. Something along the lines of an Oktoberfest, but even breadier than that. Just like the term suggests, basically a warm loaf of fresh bread in a glass. I'm looking for malt suggestions. I'm thinking a combination of lighter specialty malts added to some good malty base malts. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Base Malts: A 50/50 combination of Marris Otter and Vienna, and maybe a pound of Munich
Specialty: Biscuit, Aromatic, Caravienne

Any other good malt suggestions? As far as yeast goes, I like Wyeast 1272 American Ale II for its mostly clean and slighty nutty profile.

I would think about using .5-.75# combo of flaked wheat/oats/rye to this, I think it'll add a nice thick head and get some of those unmalted beady grainy notes that are in bread.

Also, I've never used it, but I hear that 6-row is very grainy flavored.

Back