Better Bottle blowoff tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredderator

Reaction score
What do people use for blowoffs in their BB's? The normal tube I shove into the neck of my glass carboys is much too small.

Carboy cap. I have three piece airlocks and the regular S bubblers, tend to use whatever one is handy. I've never used my BB as a primary, so I've never run into this problem before...

I have the BB with and use the orange carboy caps. I just put a piece of vinyl tubing onto one of the stems that stick out of the carboy cap. I haven't had any crazy fermenting beers in there yet so the smaller diameter tubing was good. I also haven't dry hopped a vigorously fermenting beer, but I'm thinking a larger tube may be needed for that. My caps don't seem to seal right either so I wrap them with the plastic stretch wrap you get at home improvement stores for bundling materials, so even if there were a lot of force against the cap it won't come off. You might be able to use some of that around your current blow off to secure it to the top of the bottle, sanitized of course.

I drilled out a stopper with a holesaw and then use the standard 1" blow-off tubing. I wrapped a little tape around the tube but it's pretty snug even without the tape.

bb_blowoff.jpg

this may work for you. The LHBS I used to go to in Seattle used a bit of larger diameter rubber tubing to seal between the pvc and the carboy opening.

I've had kreusens that have plugged the hole in my carboy cap so a piece of tubing shoved over it wouldn't have helped. Luckily it didn't blow off, just kind of lifted the cap off.

sorry to bump an old thread, but here it my take on it

we have arrowhead water bottles at work, well I took one of the caps home today and tested out this method.

tubing is 1-1/4" used for testing from a beer bong I had laying around.

I'll probably get some 1" tubing and another cap and build a smaller more flexible unit

IMG_20101228_164833.jpg

-=Jason=-

Back