So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can make it to the LHBS and get another floating dip tube I'd love to use up some of the classic lager hops I have and the flaked corn I've had and do another FYB under pressure. I'd also have to check if my ferm chamber can hold my 2 Fermonsters and a corny, but I played a fair amount of Tetris as a kid; thinking it'll be fine.

Supposing I can't make it work for whatever reason, I'll do some organizing, cleaning and the like. I can also make an overbuilt 34/70 started, decant and separate into test tubes and stored. Don't want to use the left overs after my pressure ferments and that should set me up on 34/70 for the year.

brokehotpod.jpg

My hot pod no longer will stay threaded to it's base.

tapedhotpod.jpg

Tape will do for now but I think it needs a real box. The threads on that pod never held very well.

With that temporarily fixed I'm brewing a CAP. Going to fill my Allrounder to 14 gallons. I have a cake of 2272 from a light lager. I hope it likes it under pressure. It's my fourth of July beer.

I've always done a cereal mashes but this time it's going to be a single infusion with flaked maize. I don't know how well a cereal mash (or a decoction) would work in a E-kettle?

Well, this week was a bust for brewing.

Meh, I'm going to the LHBS to get stuff for the D-Alt and x-mas beers from BCS. That's my plan for next week. Got a bunch of maintenance done and managed to bottle my Philly Sour experiment and my... I guess JABM (had no oranges, so I opted for blueberries)

Have an unfilled, and therfore, unloved keg not earmarked for beer though. Thinking I'll hit a liquor store after work tomorrow, get some lemon vodka, some ginger root from the adjoining grocery store and make a lemon ginger hard cider. It would be my first attempt in that space, and it sounds like a refreshing summer seltzer

@OakIslandBrewery your situation sounds much like mine. I originally wanted to brew Saturday buuut, turns out I have graduations to attend and family events that Trump my desires.

Yesterday I got a fresh keg ready to recieve an APA that I need to get out of the fermenter. I will get that transfer done today before bed time and get the conical cleaned up and ready to recieve the up coming Red Ale I will make next. And due to the constant spring rain storms I'm way behind on garden and yard work.

I'm with ya, nice out this morning and off to a great start with mulching, but I ran out of landscape fabric with only eight feet to go. I guess it's plan B now. There's always something else to do around here. Brewing seems to be pushed down the list.

After some weed spraying I got my grain ready to mill, now it's beer:30.

Attachments

• IMG_20230519_141748989_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230519_141748989_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Going to brew the Mad Fermentationist"s New Zealan’ Saison, using the Bootleg Biology The Mad Fermentationist Saison Blend. Sensing a theme here.
Interesting looking recipe. My first thought were "wow! those are big IPA level hopping and grain bill!!" but it looks like his "5 gallon" recipe was actually used to produce over 12 gallons of wort. I could not quite figure out how the hops were used across the 2 batches with a quick read. I do think that modern citrus and tropical fruit type hops work well in a Saison. I have only tried Citra, Amarillo, and Lemondrop myself.

Interesting looking recipe. My first thought were "wow! those are big IPA level hopping and grain bill!!" but it looks like his "5 gallon" recipe was actually used to produce over 12 gallons of wort. I could not quite figure out how the hops were used across the 2 batches with a quick read. I do think that modern citrus and tropical fruit type hops work well in a Saison. I have only tried Citra, Amarillo, and Lemondrop myself.
Wow, good catch on the batch size! I'll need to cut the hop additions in half 🤪 Also, I couldn't find anyone selling Motueka @ 12.00% AA so I assumed that was an error.

Wow, good catch on the batch size! I'll need to cut the hop additions in half 🤪 Also, I couldn't find anyone selling Motueka @ 12.00% AA so I assumed that was an error.

Ok, I reread the recipe to make sure I was doing the right thing. In the intro, Tonsmire says: "The idea immediately struck me to add the wine's citrusy flavors to a hoppy/tart/funky saison". His 5 gallon recipe, entered into the calculator that I use, does come pretty close to his target IBU of 38 for the listed hops. So I am going to assume that the recipe is for 5 gallons. Later on, he writes: "Parti-gyle batch sparge. Swapped wort back and forth to achieve 7.25 gallons @ 1.052, and 5.5 gallons at 1.034". I have to admit that is very confusing. I wrote to him to see what he says. If he doesn't answer by tomorrow then I'm just going to go for it.

Have my overbuilt starter going late due to scheduling issues of 34/70 because every penny saved is a penny earned. I'll use that to pressure ferment a light adjunct lager with some of this Saaz I have laying around. When my grain order comes in, I'm toying with either doing the Alt from BCS, or the X-mas spice beer recipe for the wife. Once my current adjunct lager kicks, I'll reuse it for a Korbinian clone, but that my switch spots depending on when that keg kicks. I have coins to flip.

So, I'm doing 2 batches of something on my weekend.

Made a new recipe yesterday—5 gal BIAB SMaSH Blonde Ale. First time trying a SMaSH and first time using brewing salts. Using a repurposed wine fridge for temp control (we’re in the low 90s during the day in my part of CA).

If I can find a good place to keep them cool during fermentation, I might also start a few gallons of cider.

I think my next beer will be a Golden Promise/Citra smash in the 5% range. Sounds like it would be a good beer for the summer. :mug:

Edit: So after inputting the recipe into Brewer's Friend, I only had to add .25 lb of Midnight wheat to get a perfect Best Bitter so, I think that's what I'm going with.

Last edited:
I started the weekend early. I brewed an Alabama Pale Ale today. And I'm sipping on one of the APAs I made a couple of weeks back. It was intended to be available at my family reunion. Since I can't leave it alone I had to make another one.

20230524_182544.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna do a hefe this weekend. Might try and get yeaster starters to try and do a double brewday in 2 weeks. Gonna try and do an imperial stout and a Belgium quad.

I got lazy and moved my back to back next week. I'm currently heating my strike water on my reworked strong bitter though, so not a total lazy weekend

Not exactly brewing, but I racked my dampfbier from a bucket to a carboy yesterday, and after dumping out the sludge I rinsed the bucket out with some apple juice. Put the apple juice back in its half gallon jug with the lid screwed on loose to see if the yeast (Munich Classic) would take, and it did. This morning I poured it into a 4 gallon carboy with 3 more gallons of juice, a cup of sugar, and a heaping tsp of Fermax yeast nutrient. It already has a nice head of Krausen. I've never tried this yeast with cider before.

Meanwhile, the beer is clearing nicely and should be ready to bottle Saturday.

No brewing over Memorial Day weekend for me, too busy. Well, more like our friend's pool opened and it's going to be a warm weekend finally here in eastern Mass, so I need to get my tan on! But will be quick carbing a Czech Dark that I kegged last night, need to get it carbed and then bottle some to send out next week for NHC finals.

Yesterday the first PF lager I made kicked; since I got it grain to glass in 6 days, making another one this morning. Restarted the yeast from the cream ale I transferred yesterday last night, it took off like a champ and will be perfect for this one. Hadn't planned to brew until Sunday, but this is an emergency! Tomorrow will start the Mosaic IPA in the fermzilla crashing, hoping to keg it Sunday and might brew again on Monday; have just enough grain for one more batch of something.

I’m brewing a grapefruit IPA tomorrow. I started breaking my brew day into 2 days. Prep on day 1, measure water, add salts, measure and mill grain, get brewery organized, etc. then on Brew day I get up early, kick in the heating elements while I make coffee and then mash in. Makes brew day much easier, enjoyable and stress free for me. Looking forward to a good day tomorrow and then enjoying a good beer in a month.

Cheers!

I I just discovered I burned a hole through my BIAB bag.

I’m currently straining 8 gallons of wort through a hop spider because there is probably 10lbs of Pilsner malt running around the keggle.
Quick thinking saved the day.
Sounds like it's time for 1-800-wilser ;)

Latest posts

Back