WTF is up with Taylor Swift?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When TS did her first song I was listening to a lot of country at the time. Between her and Carrie Underwood I decided I could not listen to country anymore. For every George Strait, Brad Paisley, Hank III, and Gary Allen song played I would hear 3 or 4 by TS or CU or another wannabe whiner. Turned it off and switched to mp3s and satellite radio. Then started listening to hard rock. Funny thing is I think some modern rock songs are more country than country is.

Then with the new country artist today singing how country they are and how they have a 4x4 and a dog and live backwoods. I don't consider that country either, just backwoods idiots trying to string chords together.

Wish I could find a country station in the area that plays Jamey Johnson, Rick Trevino, Dale Watson, and Amber Digby. Maybe some Heather Myles or Ray Scott.... I'm dreaming.... Oh wait. hello Pandora.

It's amazing how genre-polarized our culture can be. Just think about how many times you heard someone say "oh, I hate _insert a music genre that includes 1 million different artists_". We should know better because people do that crap with whole styles of beer or even something as blasphemous as "I don't like beer". You mean the one brand of one style you tried 16 years ago?

I like catching people humming a tune that was performed by an artist that they thought they hated that is part of a genre they thought they hated but that artist just crossed over just a little bit into another genre and they didn't know who was singing. Just listen to stuff, if it strikes a fancy, listen some more. I guess I just care who's dating who, who wrote the song, that the thing I'm hearing was actually a cover of some other way more worthy artist, etc when the sound hits my ears.

It's amazing how genre-polarized our culture can be. Just think about how many times you heard someone say "oh, I hate _insert a music genre that includes 1 million different artists_". We should know better because people do that crap with whole styles of beer or even something as blasphemous as "I don't like beer". You mean the one brand of one style you tried 16 years ago?

I like catching people humming a tune that was performed by an artist that they thought they hated that is part of a genre they thought they hated but that artist just crossed over just a little bit into another genre and they didn't know who was singing. Just listen to stuff, if it strikes a fancy, listen some more. I guess I just care who's dating who, who wrote the song, that the thing I'm hearing was actually a cover of some other way more worthy artist, etc when the sound hits my ears.

I think part of it stems from the fact a radio station will take the song and then several just like it and then repeatably play them over and over, instead of airtime of artist we personally feel are better and more deserving of the radio time. The entire problem is similar to Conway Twitty in the 80s, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Reba and Brooks and Dunn 90s, Then Kenny Chesney and Carrie Underwood in the early 2000s, and now it is Swift. The Country music genre has changed, it does every 5-10 years. However few people today would argue Conway Twitty was anything but county, in his time he was considered pop country. Jim Reeves with creating the Nashville Sound had the same effect in his time of the 50s and 60s. Isn't like anything that was being played in Texas or Bakersfield at the time.

And when I read who's dating who I immediately thought you where referencing Who's Cheatin Who. Originally done by Charly McClain....

When TS did her first song I was listening to a lot of country at the time. Between her and Carrie Underwood I decided I could not listen to country anymore. For every George Strait, Brad Paisley, Hank III, and Gary Allen song played I would hear 3 or 4 by TS or CU or another wannabe whiner. Turned it off and switched to mp3s and satellite radio. Then started listening to hard rock. Funny thing is I think some modern rock songs are more country than country is.

Then with the new country artist today singing how country they are and how they have a 4x4 and a dog and live backwoods. I don't consider that country either, just backwoods idiots trying to string chords together.

Wish I could find a country station in the area that plays Jamey Johnson, Rick Trevino, Dale Watson, and Amber Digby. Maybe some Heather Myles or Ray Scott.... I'm dreaming.... Oh wait. hello Pandora.

Oh man, Carrie Underwood. She's got a song or two that I used to be able to listen to, but now that I've heard more of them I realize they're all the same. All of them. Some *******, somewhere along the line, screwed her over and now she has to tell us all about it. Again. And again. And again. He's a big meany poopy pants, and she's superwoman, great. Good for her. I guess she's just another version of TS, just angry about everything instead of sad and mopey.

Oh man, Carrie Underwood. She's got a song or two that I used to be able to listen to, but now that I've heard more of them I realize they're all the same. All of them. Some *******, somewhere along the line, screwed her over and now she has to tell us all about it. Again. And again. And again. He's a big meany poopy pants, and she's superwoman, great. Good for her. I guess she's just another version of TS, just angry about everything instead of sad and mopey.

Oh my god I just about pissed myself laughing.

I laughed when I saw that on my Facebook feed. And I'm surprised I forgot to mention earlier that Miley Cyrus has more country cred than Taylor Swift, she recently did a Dolly Parton cover. It's pretty good, much better than her old Disney garbage.

Taylor swift and alot of others are NOT COUNTRY. Thats why You dont like her. :)
no, i dont like her because she sucks at everything. i like alot of music, not as much "pop" music as most, but a bit. most pop music is pure crap. i would sex her up tho. haha. i really just wanted to use the phrase "sex her up". haha. :ban:

How in the hell did she make 13 on the Maxim Hot 100? I feel that is way too high on the list, unless you consider her successful career as boosting her sexy points. But I looked back and found at least 8 women who should be further up the list than T-Swift.

How in the hell did she make 13 on the Maxim Hot 100? I feel that is way too high on the list, unless you consider her successful career as boosting her sexy points. But I looked back and found at least 8 women who should be further up the list than T-Swift.

I cant look at those lists anymore, girls that i consider "hot" have some meat on there bones and look damn sexy not megan fox who looks like a ****ing mess half the time and a drug addict the other half, taylor swift...#13? youve gotta be ****ting me...

Why should we give her extra points for having a "booming" carrer, isent that like giving a dog a bone for good behavior...or is is another double standard for women wanting to be treated equal to men!?

I cant look at those lists anymore, girls that i consider "hot" have some meat on there bones and look damn sexy not megan fox who looks like a ****ing mess half the time and a drug addict the other half, taylor swift...#13? youve gotta be ****ting me...

Why should we give her extra points for having a "booming" carrer, isent that like giving a dog a bone for good behavior...or is is another double standard for women wanting to be treated equal to men!?

I got to the end of the Hot 100 and realized that it is all done by online voting. Freaking Miley Cyrus won #1. I don't think she's that attractive, she's got chipmunk cheeks and I think it's creepy that people ten years older than I got all excited when she turned 18. And I agree about the meat-on-them-bones and the Megan Fox comments. At least Katy Perry and Kate Upton beat T-Swift and M-Fox :mug:

Who the hell is Taylor Swift? Actually I know who but I could not identify any of her songs. I don't listen to any of these "Idols"

You are living the dream! I wish I didn't know her music, sadly I work in a factory that receives two radio stations, pop and country. They both play her music. I hate her music.

I think my little sister said it best the other day with "Dear Taylor Swift, Shut up."

I wonder if she has ever wondered if the end of all her relationships was her fault and because she blames the guy and writes songs about it?

taylor swift is not nor ever was Country. Lets not dilute this genera any more. yes, tons of people STILL love country, tho we have tons more the think country is something similar to taylor swift. . for what ever reason, i hate her (tho would love to see her naked)...never mind. my thoughts are going a-stray
+1 lol

I've had a theory that for about the past 5 or 10 years country is nothing more than mid-90's alt rock with a twang. Seriously, go listen to Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, or Hootie and the Blowfish and tell me I'm wrong. I dare you!

I once heard Tom Petty call today's country acts "bad pop groups with fiddles"

all this and not one pic????
of course this is a 'better' one - some are downright rough!

(I do like "Trouble" - very catchy)

Taylor-Swift-taylor-swift-17469478-1024-768.jpg

Back