How much change in flavor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
After 7 days vs after 30 days?

I just racked from primary to secondary (yeah I know, but this is my first time so I'm following kit instruction to a T) and after getting a gravity reading I drank some and it actually tasted a lot like beer! Just curious what is actually taking place during the next 4 weeks that I have to wait (2 weeks secondary + 2 weeks in bottles).

Seconday gives the yeast time to 'clean up' after themselves... consume some of their own by-products from fermentation. Also allows stuff to settle out and give a clearer beer.

The time in the bottles is to allow the yeast to carbonate the beer.

Quite a bit will change especially after carbonation, it is interesting to taste it along the way to see how it develops into mature beer

After 7 days vs after 30 days?

I just racked from primary to secondary (yeah I know, but this is my first time so I'm following kit instruction to a T) and after getting a gravity reading I drank some and it actually tasted a lot like beer! Just curious what is actually taking place during the next 4 weeks that I have to wait (2 weeks secondary + 2 weeks in bottles).

Whatever it is that happens over the next few weeks, I believe you are going to like !!! Not sure what the chemistry is, but it is a major event.

Back