Using Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
I made Orfy's hobgoblin clone back in October, which was the first time I have used Irish Moss. That batched turned out incredibly cloudy, in fact I have had much more success with the late extract method in getting a clear beer than with first try with Irish Moss.

I'm wondering if what messed me up was straining the trub from my brew kettle which also took the Irish Moss out so that it wouldn't have the chance to do anything during primary fermentation.

I could see that maybe Irish Moss does it's Finning thing more than in just the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Thanks for the pointers!

I throw irish moss in with ~10-15 mins left in the boil and then strain before fermenting and have no issues with clarity.

I think there is something else causing the problem.

Irish moss and whirlfloc are kettle finings, so they go into the boil. What they do is help coagulate proteins. It works very well, if you get a really good "cold break". That means that you cool the wort very rapidly- like boiling to under 70 degrees in 20 minutes- and tons of proteins glob together and precipitate out. Irish moss really helps in this process. It actually works by making the smaller molecules aggregate into larger particles so they settle out of solution, instead of staying suspended. By the time you strain the wort going into the primary, the Irish moss has done all the work it's going to do.

I don't remember that I got much of a cold break. I did have some scorching, but can't taste it.

I havn't seen much clarity in the batches I strain versus the batches I don't strain.

I'm repeating the batch in a couple months, and will try it without straining to see if my straining procedure is the problem.

Thanks for the clarification! (pun intended or not :fro:)

I have never had straining/not straining make a bit of difference, so I don't bother any more. Clarity comes from proper coagulation of proteins (hot break, cold break), and flocculation of the yeast at the end of fermentation. A good hot break and cold break can fix 95% of the problems with clarity.

+1, Yoop.

This sounds like a procedural problem - specifically, chilling. Improve that aspect of your operation, Dycocak, and you'll solve your problem. When you get a good break, and get your proteins into whacking great globs, then straining can improve clarity.

Additives rarely solve problems on their own.

Cheers,

Bob

Irish moss and whirlfloc are kettle finings, so they go into the boil. What they do is help coagulate proteins. It works very well, if you get a really good "cold break". That means that you cool the wort very rapidly- like boiling to under 70 degrees in 20 minutes- and tons of proteins glob together and precipitate out. Irish moss really helps in this process. It actually works by making the smaller molecules aggregate into larger particles so they settle out of solution, instead of staying suspended. By the time you strain the wort going into the primary, the Irish moss has done all the work it's going to do.
That explanation made me want to have sex with you.. or should I have just said +1? :)

Back