Apple cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Apple cyser

2.5 pounds of clover honey
1 cinnamon stick
1 ounce box of raisins
Topped to 1 gallon with organic apple juice. Wait until it clears; rack it, add 2 Granny Smith apples. Wait.Bottle it. Age it . Enjoy.

I forgot to post a picture. This is 16 ounces of the above mentioned recipe.

IMG_0225.jpg

I just made this tonight. I didn't put any raisins in it though. I forgot to get some at the store and I was already making the cyser when I realized it. Is it a big deal not having the raisins? Can I add them in the morning? Or can I add them when I rack this onto the apples? Thx.

Based on the recipe for JAOM, I'd say that the raisins are nutrients for the yeast. It's safe to add the next day or even within 2 days. If you have yeast nutrient you can add that as well. In a pinch, you can also create your own by boiling some bread yeast.

This sounds interesting. Please let me know your thoughts on the final product. I may start a batch myself.

I fortunately cant add the raisins at all now. I left for vacation the next day for a week. The morning we left the airlock was already going nuts. I'm going to rack onto a few Granny Smiths when I get home. I will definitely let you know how it turns out.

I love a good Cyser - and this one has me licking my lips - making a batch tonight.

TY for sharing :mug:

I did something similar but made 5 gallons of spiced apple cider and added 6 pounds clover honey.

came out good and strong!!!

I did something similar but made 5 gallons of spiced apple cider and added 6 pounds clover honey.

came out good and strong!!!

Made a batch last night and was very surprised how the bread yeast really took off ! I always assumed the "wine yeasts" were predominately better than any bread yeast - boy was I wrong.

Is it safe to assume yeasts are all about alcohol tolerance and not so much about how aggressive fermentation is or can be?

anyway back on topic - I think this is going to be some nice Cyser. I'm thinking maybe next batch playing with adding some McCormicks Apple pie spice to the must or perhaps season it up a bit and see what happens.

pghfett said:
For the ignorant mead people newbs (i.e. ME) how much yeast may I ask 1 table spoon ?

1 Tablespoon = 3 teaspoons = 15 grams (approx)
Dry yeasts come in 5 gram packets, so basically it's like adding 3 packets of dry yeast...

i have never brewed cyser (or anything for that matter) before, but this looks like both a delicious, and simple recipe to get me started.

onbe question though, when you say you "let it rack with the granny smith apple for 10 days," what do you mean by that? what is "racking"?

I started this on 7/21/2015. 1st taste was on 9/19/2015. It was good but still needed some more time. 2nd taste was on 12/15/2015 and i still think it needs some more time. If anything I think the hotness is back some.

Im new to meads does this sound right? Do meads go back and forth?

Seemed a simple enough recipe so I whipped together a gallon of this over the weekend and its bubbling and frothing away.

Sub'd in a few inches of vanilla bean and yeast nutrient instead of raisins, also used Nottingham yeast since it was all I had on hand. First step into the mead realm after trying a few ciders. Cysers seem the perfect stepping stone =)

What yeast did you use for the recipe? Do you have to use a particular type of yeast for cysers or is it based on preference?

I use 71b-1122 because I put berries in my cyzers and meads. That yeast is good for dark fruit.

This recipe should get you to 18% ABV. I like my meads and cyzers with lower ABV.

How do you prep the apples for this? I've never used fresh fruit so I'm unsure wether I need to slice them or shred them or peel them or remove seeds or what. Thanks!

Usually the apples are pressed for the juice and you use the juice. If you are making a small batch you can use a juicer. If im making a small batch i just wash my apple cut them in fours and remove the pits and into the juicer with the skins.

Back