Texas Twang (Jalapeno Cucumber Mead)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent carbonated this mead or any meads as of yet. Mine are usually too alcoholic to carb naturally and usually make not enough to fit in a keg. You can try carbonating it if you like.

That is what my concern was. I did not think the treaty would survive the entire process. I just moved this recipe to secondary as well as a modified version. It includes one mango and three small habaneros (with seeds removed).

After reading many articles on making mead,I have decided to allow these batches to sit in secondary for a year. Should the produce I added during secondary stay in the must for the whole year our remove it during the next month?

Update:
Started this batch on 2/7/14
Racked on 3/1/14
Dry hopped from 3/1 to 3/8
Racked on 3/8 off the veggies
Bulk aged in a 1 gallon carboy from 3/8 to 5/20
Bottled today on 5/21

Ended up with 4 bottles and a small glass for me to drink. Thanks to my wife for the fancy labels. Damn....this tastes great! Having a BBQ this Sunday and plan to chill a bottle and introduce it to the guests. Thanks DC.

1400726792506.jpg

I hate to say it but, we got so drunk and so early that, we never got to the mead. Maybe next time. LOL I'll definitely keep you posted.

Totally forgot I gave a bottle to my neighbor. Saw her today and she said she LOVES it. She even asked me for more. Told her that I only made a gallon and got 4 bottles of it. So with 3 left, I said no.

This is just too weird not to try. This will make the trifecta of DisturbdChemist's meads. (putting down the lemon basil tonight as well, as I have to zest 2 dozen lemons for my limoncello.)

This is just too weird not to try. This will make the trifecta of DisturbdChemist's meads. (putting down the lemon basil tonight as well, as I have to zest 2 dozen lemons for my limoncello.)

The jalapeno cucumber for me clears pretty quickly and once "dry hopped" its drinkable very soon. Glad you are making the trifecta lol. Enjoy and let me know! I got another weird one im going to post soon too!

It just went down. What was your time to drink? Looks like it's gonna be a long one.

Still got the lemon basil to put down before bed.

Stared mine in Feb and starting drinking it in May. See post #45 in this thread. I still have bottle left that I'm going to sit on for a few more months.

The jalapeno cucumber for me clears pretty quickly and once "dry hopped" its drinkable very soon. Glad you are making the trifecta lol. Enjoy and let me know! I got another weird one im going to post soon too!

I'm looking forward to seeing the recipe for chocolate habanero. :D

Alright, I am too interested in this now and since I have fresh cucumbers and jalapeno's in the garden, I am about to fire off 3 versions with just different yeasts in 1 gallon batches. I am testing 71b-1122, K1-V1116, and EC-1118...we shall see how they differ. :)

Off to the garden I go!

Thanks again for posting...and for the continual replies!

So there is only one post showing when this was racked and bottled.
What is everyone else doing?
This is my first mead and went in the primary on 30 August and don't know when to rack it.

I usually rack it when i am ready to add fresh jalapeno and cucumber. It should clear on its own but you can rack once clear to get rid of the trube at the bottom to have clean bottles in the end. I do not like to rack very often because of lost and maybe oxygenation (probably not a worry with mead). Just rack when you feel its ready. No wrong way in doing things but you can rack over once clear

I racked and dry hopped mine 2 months after I started it

Love the recipe, next time I will only dry hop with peppers, not cucumber

Just re-racked the gallon I started last winter. About time to bottle. I'm debating whether to sweeten it a bit as the jalapeño is quite distinct and a bit of sweet to balance might make it a nice accompaniment to Tex Mex. anybody sweetened theirs? Outcomes?

Just re-racked the gallon I started last winter. About time to bottle. I'm debating whether to sweeten it a bit as the jalapeño is quite distinct and a bit of sweet to balance might make it a nice accompaniment to Tex Mex. anybody sweetened theirs? Outcomes?

Did you have jalapeño in there for the 7-8 months?

I made this with some orange blossom honey my buddy's mom brought me back from Florida, and cukes and peppers from my garden. Everyone, including me, loves it!! I made it 'cause it was different, but didn't really expect much......damn! is it good!! Great with cheese, crackers, and venison sausage!! Thanks!!!

Into tertiary today to clear...so far so good! Already fired off another one today slightly differently and with Montrachet yeast...just because. :)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414976125.172564.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Into tertiary today to clear...so far so good! Already fired off another one today slightly differently and with Montrachet yeast...just because. :)
View attachment 233520

Awesome. Most of my ciders are montrachet yeast. I love that yeast. I stick with 1118 because it ferments like a beast some to 16-17% range

I just pitched a gallon batch of this. Sounded so crazy, I had to give it try. Certainly right up my alley.

Thanks for the recipe!

Awesome. Most of my ciders are montrachet yeast. I love that yeast. I stick with 1118 because it ferments like a beast some to 16-17% range

Interesting. I just started a Strawberry Melomel yesterday. I was going to use D-47, but I was out, so I pitched 1118. It's going CRAZY.

Just a little off topic side note...Cigar City Brewing companies "Cucumber Saison" beer smells amazingly like this mead while it is fermenting...at least to me...

Latest posts

Back