Keg cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
So, I've aquired an old sankey keg. (Lets not get into the legal and moral discussion about this one please.) I'm getting ready to cut the top out of it. My question is regarding the lip on the inside top of the keg that everybody leaves on. Is there a reason to leave it on other than to make me really angry as I cut my arm up trying to clean it? I'm thinking that I'll take the time to get it all cut off of there and ground down so I don't have to worry about the edge being there.

thoughts?

The only reason I can think of is that it's nice to be able to use a lid. Other than that, I think people leave it because it's easier.

Oh......a lid......I feel kinda stupid now. That thought had not even crossed my mind. Maybe I will leave the edge now. Thanks.

And... a 12" hole is about as close as I could get w/ my die grinder. I'm sure you could get closer w/ a plasma cutter.

Perhaps strength or the PITA to cut it larger.

I use a (dedicated) toilet brush to clean.
Are your guns that large? (and your skin so soft?)

I hit the edges on mine with a flapper wheel on a drill then sanded it smooth by hand, worked great

LOL. Nice olllllo. Question the "manliness" of a fellow Jeeper.

I just know that after a brew day where I enjoy several of my creations, I'm liable to hurt myself with my mash paddle somehow, let alone the edge of my keggle. Based on the lid thought though, I'm gonna leave it there and my 'guns' will just have to handle it.

you can cut it flush but you have to first cut a 12" hole, then cut the rest out from the inside. I mean you'll have to hold the grinder inside the keg to get a flush cut to the sidewall. Not comfortable by any means. I've also seen people cut the entire top off including the rounded over collar on top. This reduces the capacity of course but it does save some weight if you're only doing 5 gallon batches in it.

Hit the edge with a file and some sandpaper (maybe a grinding wheel if you do a particularly messy job cutting the whole), and it won't be sharp and you won't cut yourself.

Plus, it's really nice to be able to put a lid on when you're bringing the wort up to boil, or if you're just heating sparge water.

just cut mine with an angle grinder as well and then ground them down with a flapper sander with 80 grit and it is smooth as a baby's butt.:p
you should invest in the flapper or just some sand paper as dude suggests because you'll be reaching in alot and its nice to have the smooth edge.:D
Just need to drill a few holes and i'll be in good shape myself!:mug:
watched a guy cut perfect 12" holes with a plasma cutter and something he made to center it with the hole for the stem in even less time than it took yuri to cut his in his video.
I was impressed that he also has a jig to cut the holes with the plasma cutter as well.
He was cutting it a bit short and then pulling the peice to get welded through from the inside.
Interesting technique, i'm thinking my weldless fittings will be a bit cheaper and just as good in the short run at least.

I have a keggle that I cut the entire top off of except for one of the handles. I use my old 8 gallon canning boiler lid on it. I wish I had cut out a 12 inch circle so I could use a smaller lid, and so I could could have two handles on it. Also, I have heard that leaving the curved edges of the top in place helps to direct boilovers toward the center, but I don't believe this is a real benefit. On the pro side, it is easier to see into, and might be easier to clean with the entire top open.

The first two reasons are why I will cut out a 12 inch circle in my next one.

A guy in my brewing club made a simple jig out of a piece of wood that he clamped his air die gringer to. It has a hole on one end to fit over the keg valve neck. You just swing the thing around in a circle like using a drawing compass and let the grinding wheel take a little metal at a time. The cuts were so perfect, he tacked three little tabs onto the resulting disc and reuses them as lids.

The cutting went without much trouble. Used a jigsaw and now just have to grind down the edge a bit and clean it up. Thanks for the help guys.

JeepGuy said:
LOL. Nice olllllo. Question the "manliness" of a fellow Jeeper.

I just know that after a brew day where I enjoy several of my creations, I'm liable to hurt myself with my mash paddle somehow, let alone the edge of my keggle. Based on the lid thought though, I'm gonna leave it there and my 'guns' will just have to handle it.

oops. Don't know how I missed this comment.
*makes mental note to change name in Kansas if he sees guy in Jeep applying skin lotion to his 12" diameter arms*

Latest posts

Back