Winter Mead (melo-meth)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the pictures of the one I made a couple years ago...this is what it has always looked like (but I didn't back sweeten it-wish I had a little)...

IMGP1090.jpg

IMGP1088.jpg

weird though...I swear it was more red than that (almost certain it looked more like my blueberry mead)...I just went to verify I pulled from the right box and unless I was drunk labeling two boxes...this is what my melo-meth looks like after a couple years...

I have a batch in secondary right now and I meant to take some pictures last week and post them. I will do that today. I have never had mine turn out as light as KnightRyder's pics. Mine always looks much more like cranberry juice. I has a deep red-purple color.

Just started a batch of this. cant wait for the holidays to drink this.

just one slight question for those that have brewed this. I did a 3 gal batch with 9# of honey and didnt have to add any water to get to the 3 gal mark, is that normal?

not concerned just curious

I just started a batch of this.

I'm just under 5 gallons and used 1 gallon of yaupon holly honey.
I don't have any allspice berries, but I did toss in about 1/4 of a crushed nutmeg.

Quick update on this one....It's fantastic.

It's good and drinkable now, but I have a feeling it will be out of this world in a year or two.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a few oz of maple syrup to this but I haven't decided yet.
I think I'll wait til it cools down a bit here, then have some friends over for bench tasting with this and a few other batches and decide what it needs, etc.

I'm calling this one Winter Solstice Mead.

Backsweetened with maple syrup.

This is perfect. If I don't stop sneaking glasses, I'll never get this bottled!

2015-10-28 16.49.04.jpg

2015-10-28 16.47.45.jpg

I just started a 5 gallon batch of this. It smells so good, and has tons of activity.
~14 pounds of honey
Yeast: D-47
Did use yeast nutrient.
Didn't take any other notes or readings.

I just started a 5 gallon batch of this. It smells so good, and has tons of activity.
~14 pounds of honey
Yeast: D-47
Did use yeast nutrient.
Didn't take any other notes or readings.

So how is it so far? What kind of honey did you end up using?

We are hoarding our first batch. Our second batch is sitting in secondary and getting some age on it.

This came out great. I bottled a tittle too soon, so there is some carbonation. But if I decant it or chill it in ice it brings out the sweetness and apple flavor.
When it was bottled, it had a very red tint to it, but over time has lost most of the red color.
The best part was that, it started clearing after 3 months and by month 4 was clear as a bell.
Most of it is gone. I made the mistake passing it out, because now everyone is asking for 2nds and 3rds.
Also i just used some costco honey. Figured the spices and juices would compete for a spot on one's pallet and the more delicate floral flavor wouldn't stand a chance.
Not to discredit costco's honey because that is my go to source for all spiced meads.

Probably a good idea. The honey I used is very strongly flavored.

We have 10 bottles of the original left, and 6 gallons in secondary.

The first batch we made cleared very quickly.

This newer batch is still cloudy as ever, but sitting at 1.00.
I will give it another couple of months but I'm hoping I don't have to use anything to clear it out.

That's great you have a second batch going. This has become somewhat well known among my friends and they are demanding that I make more. I think I'm going to wait till apples are in season before I start up another batch though.
For the batch that is still cloudy, have you tried racking it recently?

Just tried this one, pretty much followed the original recipe, with WLP720 yeast. Let's see how it goes!

You will love it.

Also, consider getting some pure maple syrup for backsweetening.

You will love it.

Also, consider getting some pure maple syrup for backsweetening.

Yeah I have plenty of maple syrup here. However I expect there will be plenty of residual sweetness with the wlp720 as it doesn't have a very high attenuation.

First batch turned out pretty good. My gf really loves it. I like it but feel its too weak, there's barely any alcohol in it (i need to check gravity next time i open a bottle). I just relaunched another batch but with D-47. Its bubling slow and steady at the moment...

First batch turned out pretty good. My gf really loves it. I like it but feel its too weak, there's barely any alcohol in it (i need to check gravity next time i open a bottle). I just relaunched another batch but with D-47. Its bubling slow and steady at the moment...

What was your beginning and ending SG?

Ours was about 16.5% on all 3 batches.

I think my OG was around 1.10 (I need to find my notes again), but I haven't measured the FG yet (will try to think about it next time I open a bottle!).

Mine's definitely far from 16%, I'd seriously guesstimate it closer to 5-6%. Anyhow I guess I will see how this second batch turns out. The first was still very good nonetheless.

Keep forgetting that I tried a version of this recipe. Used blueberry blossom honey, cranberry juice and apple juice. Left the spices out of the main batch, but split a gallon off and added some mulling spices. Both turned out great. Left is unspiced, right is spiced
IMG_20180916_132929055_HDR.jpeg

When i saw this recipe i know I had to try it, sounds great! I started it 3 days ago and the fermentation started sometime this night, I was a bit afraid it would not start!

This is my second batch of mead ever, and it will be nice see how it tastes around Christmas!

My recipe was:
2.8 kg honey
3L apple juice
3L cranberry juice, from concentrate and 22% cranberry. Could not find better in my stores.
5 allspice
5 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
And water up to around 11L

OG: 1.104

Yeast: Wyeast 4184 for sweat mead, and some nutrients in the form of DAP and fermaid K.

Going to start one of these in a few weeks

WINTER MEAD (1-Gallon)
3lb Honey (Clover/wildflower/Orange Blossom)
1qt Apple juice
1qt Cranberry juice
2 cloves
2 all-spice
1 cinnamon stick
Wyeast 1388
TOSNA protocol

Well I'm teaching a buddy how to make mead today for his first one. I thought I'd make one today too and my wife wanted a 'Christmas-type' mead. This one sounds perfect although we may have to wait for next Christmas to drink.

Back