Help please! GF stout syrups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gengis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm attempting to brew GF Guinness-style stout (my first attempt...).

I do not have access to Sorghum syrup, and I don't even know what it tastes like once fermented. Can anyone help me as to which syrups would give the best (i.e. non-weird!) results, and in which proportion:

Brown rice syrup?
Molasses?
Maple syrup?

I will also be using malted grains (Millet, Quinoa, GF oats, black rice) for added taste and color.

Thanks!

I do not have access to Sorghum (syrup,molasses,seeds,...) then I'm using corn malt & blascstrap molasess or caramel and experimenting with Lyle's Golden Syrup.

I think some of the other guys here have done brews using rice syrup as the main fermentable. If you do this, you're going to want to use some yeast nutrient.

But if you can do a mini-mash with your malted grain, you should be able to get some color, flavor, and body from those.

Speaking of which, malted oats? Are you malting some oats yourself, or?

Basically, I’m trying to imitate the chemistry and taste of Barley Malt. I was told that Barley Malt contains mostly maltose and little glucose, which is why brown rice syrup seems like a good choice. However, some have posted that BRS has little taste. As for Sorghum, I’ve read a lot of posts that mention a sour or pungent taste. I was thinking of complementing BRS with dark maple syrup (Sucrose : 62% Glucose : 2% Fructose : 2%) for flavor and color.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What about Golden Syrup or Blackstrap molasses?

To Dorklord: yes, I will try to find non-processed oats in order to malt them. Otherwise, I will just roast them.

Basically, I’m trying to imitate the chemistry and taste of Barley Malt. I was told that Barley Malt contains mostly maltose and little glucose, which is why brown rice syrup seems like a good choice. However, some have posted that BRS has little taste. As for Sorghum, I’ve read a lot of posts that mention a sour or pungent taste. I was thinking of complementing BRS with dark maple syrup (Sucrose : 62% Glucose : 2% Fructose : 2%) for flavor and color.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What about Golden Syrup or Blackstrap molasses?

To Dorklord: yes, I will try to find non-processed oats in order to malt them. Otherwise, I will just roast them.

Golden syrup is certainly an option, but again there you'll be getting into a low (no, I believe) maltose item.

I'd love to hear what you do as far as malting oats. If I could find any oats that weren't flaked, cut, or otherwise killed, I'd try it myself...

Oh, and I know that various amounts of molasses have been used around here. I've used a couple heaping tablespoons for color in several beers, and I used a 1lb jar of sorghum syrup (which looks and tastes a lot like molasses) in my oatmealish stoutish brew last night.

I think some of the other guys here have done brews using rice syrup as the main fermentable. If you do this, you're going to want to use some yeast nutrient.

Just a correction here, anything besides Sorghum and you will want to use a lot of yeast nutrient. BRS is the closest to Sorghum in terms of nitrogen and you can use LESS than other fermentables.

That being said, the only "syrup" I would add to the above list is Dark Belgian Candi Syrup.

I'm currently reading through Randy Mosher's book, Radical Brewing. In it he says that for three years (until the introduction of chocolate malt), brewers cooked down molasses and then set it alight for a few minutes. This is how they got a really dark colour out of it.

I'm not setup to experiment with this but if someone can do 1 gallon batches I'd try this.

Sorghum malt may be different to what I buy in Australia because I find it tastes really good here.

I'm currently reading through Randy Mosher's book, Radical Brewing. In it he says that for three years (until the introduction of chocolate malt), brewers cooked down molasses and then set it alight for a few minutes. This is how they got a really dark colour out of it.

I'm not setup to experiment with this but if someone can do 1 gallon batches I'd try this.

Sorghum malt may be different to what I buy in Australia because I find it tastes really good here.

So they would cook molasses syrup and then light it on fire? So if I just put a few lbs of molasses in a pot, cooked it (how long?) and then burned it with a torch that would produce what brewers use to do for darker color?

So they would cook molasses syrup and then light it on fire? So if I just put a few lbs of molasses in a pot, cooked it (how long?) and then burned it with a torch that would produce what brewers use to do for darker color?

Yeah the book doesn't specify timings other than they let it burn for a few minutes. What I would suggest is doing small tests, first with the cooking timings. Then putting it into some water for say 15 minutes to boil. Let it cool, check the flavour and colour. Being as that it was only used for three years the information would be pretty scarce I'd say.

Actually, you can darken any syrup (much like making a caramel) by heating it in a saucepan under high heat (and watching it very closely... because syrups can darken within seconds when it gets going). The problem is introducing off-flavors or bitter flavors with 'impure' syrups. The other problem is that if you syrup or molasses are naturally acidic, heating them may invert the sugars, thus leading to a high glucose content.

im still lost about where hes getting his malted grain from and marveling at his massive huevos for trying to make a guiness clone, i hear its rather challenging not to mention lacking nitrogen for carbonation

Well... My first homebrew ever--- a Guinness-like gluten-free stout--- is a success! It doesn't resemble Guinness at all, but it's pretty darn good (yes, I realize this sounds cocky). Thank you all for your input.

I used as 'base malt' black sulfur-free molasses, brown rice syrup, dark maple syrup and dark Candi syrup. I malted some white and black quinoa, as well as gluten-free oats (a 'hull-less variety', available on the net). I tried to malt Millet (failure... the seeds were dead) and some wild black rice, as suggested by folks on HB forums. I did a one-step infusion-type mash. I added a bit of top-grade cocoa powder and some french-roast Arabica coffee (for color and aroma).

Tasting notes for worts:
malted gluten-free oats: darkest color, very bitter, intense chocolate and coffee flavor
white quinoa: dark color, slightly acidic and bitter, strong toasted pumpkin seed aroma
millet (failed): straw colored, corn and pasta-like flavor
black Rice: barely any color, lobsterish smell

Conclusion: don't use black rice. Doesn't add color at all, and tastes like s##t once malted.

Fermentation took about 10 days
Full carbonation in bottle took about 14 days.
Tasting notes: strong licorice notes upfront, followed by notes of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted grain. Full body.
Initial SG: 1.062
Final SG: 1.018
Final SRM: about 26 (not as dark as I would have liked...)

Next attempt: will add more malted Quinoa, less molasses (which I guess imparted that licorice root taste). Will replace Millet by malted Amaranth. Will probably keg it with nitrogen to imitate a draught Guinness.

Cheers

A few things I've noticed trying to get a darker beer- use blackstrap molasses but be prepared for the flavor to come through as you increase the amounts. On ony of my re-brews of American Brown Ale I increased the blackstrap, the resulting flavor is more akin to chocolate.

Adding cocoa powder seems to lighten up rather than darken the beer (at least in my experience)

Coffee only does so much to the color of the beer, especially if you are using blackstrap molasses.

Home roasted grains can do a LOT for color, but you have to be careful with these. If you burn them, that flavor may carry over into the beer. It is a fine line.

I've used wild rice before, but I roasted it my self and when I used it, I cracked the rice. It added a nice brown color...Is this the same as your black rice above? Did you roast it or crack it after malting?

LCasanova: interesting post.

My black rice was malted, then roasted, and cracked. It was a complete failure...

I did a little experiment yesterday: I compared worts from roasted white quinoa, roasted black quinoa and roasted red quinoa. The darkest wort came from... white quinoa! (All grains were roasted the exact same way). The white quinoa had a lot of bitterness and dark coffee aromas, exactly what I was looking for in my GF stout. The black quinoa wort had a very pleasant cocoa powder- milk chocolate aroma and almost no bitterness (to my complete surprise). The red quinoa was a bit timid; not sure if I will ever use it.

I won't be using as much molasses as my last batch, perhaps 1 cup per 5 gallon. I do agree molasses add a lot of color and flavor, but the final product had way to much black licorice notes (at 2 cups per 5 gallons...). Not sure I like BRS either. Will probably add less 'syrups' and increase the grain bill.

Cheers!

Back