Activator Smack Packs Not Fully Swelling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tragic8ball

Reaction score
This is the second smack pack that I have bought from my LHBS that hasn't fully swollen. I am trying to do Northern Home Brewing's Hourblonmonstre extract kit, and each time, my Activator package of Belgian Ardens is still only half swollen after 12+ hours. The first package was about a month from packaging date. The second one was about 10 days from packaging date. Both kept refrigerated.

Any ideas?

I have had a couple of Activator packs that took 2-3 days to swell completely. I've also had a couple that were half-swollen when I bought it at the LHBS. They all worked just fine. Like rocketman768 indicated, I wouldn't worry about it too much...

Cool thanks. I have made a starter from an Activator package of Belgian Ardens once before, and it was near-bursting when I pitched it. Is there any reason for why some packages will swell more than others?

Also, how long will the activated packages keep in a refrigerator? I kept my last one, figuring the yeasts would go dormant.

Back