Apfelwein sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nystevecf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I know it's early but I figured it would be carbed so I tried a glass. Here is the problem, I tried it when it was still and it was great. A few weeks later in a keg and now it is carbed but tastes sour, is this normal and it will pass or did I screw something up?

I dont know if it is paranoia(sp) or not but I think my stomach is turning a little....

It's not paranoia, it's hypochondria your stomach is turning. See if it's the carbonation making it sour, stir some up a bunch in a glass to get the fizz out.

Does your keg of appfelwein have a lactic infection?

Pour a glass, then get a clean glass...do they taste the same? I have had beer line that makes apfelwein taste funny.

I think that it very well may be the line. I will have a buddy taste it to confirm (he had some still out of this batch as well.) I wont say anything to him and see if he notices. What type of line did you switch to BK?

I didn't. I ran a solution of PBW and the hottest water I could get out of the tap and it cleared up.

Also, Apfelwein made with "Natural" sugar...seems to get sour ( as per my single batch expirament that never did clear.)

Thanks for the heads up. I ran oxy and star san thru it when I cleaned it but I will use a spare keg and give it a shot.

I'm having the same problem. Is there maybe no accounting for taste in some of the rave reviews we've all read?! ;-)

I've not made my own but when I drank Apfelwein in the places in Frankfurt I have to admit it was very sour for my liking, in fact so sour that I got stomach ulcers the week after I left the place and I put it down to that one night drinking the Apfelwein, which I might add I didn't really enjoy either because of it's sourness.
Maybe try the German trick to make a "suesses" (sweet) by adding carbonated mineral water, it is common to either drink them sweet or sour, by adding the water to make the sweet one.

Back