Boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duluz

Reaction score
At what boiling temp does it start to ruin your wort?

Or does it?

The boiling temperature doesn't really change for differnt boils. But one thing to keep in mind is thermal loading. This is basically the amount of power that is transfered into the wort when boiling. It affects the boil-off rate and the formation of desirable and undesirable maillard products (browning). The literature recommends a boil-off rate between 8 and 15% per hour. If you have significantly more you can create harsh tasting flavor components.

Kai

realistically the only thing you need to worry about is dumping in a lot of extract and having it fall to the bottom of your pot, and scorch from the heat. that's why most recommend you turn off the heat, add the extract, mix it up, then turn the heat back on again.

Once you really exceed 212F (at sea level) its not boiling water...its steam :)

The longer you boil extract-based wort, the darker it gets. This is only a problem if you are doing a pale. Anything from a Brown to a Stout, no one will notice.

I not only shut off the heat before adding extract, I take the pot off of the stand. Otherwise, I can get a scorch pattern that matches the stand.

That's a good point David, especially if you're on an electric stove. Those coils stay hot, as do ceramic tops. gas range would probably be OK unless it has those honkin' thick burner grids...the thin ones are probably ok.

I use a gas range for my boils, and never really have a problem with heat/burn issues. I used to turn the gas off, and move the pot when adding extracts, but have sinced just turned the gas down to the lowest setting. Nothing has burned on me yet.

However, during yesterday's brewing of a stout, I was doing a late addition of my DME with a pretty high boil temp, and I came darn close to a boil-over. I haven't come that close in a looooong time, but then again, never did I actually ever boil-over in my homebrewing past either!

Something to note though:

There are times when I am in the boil, and the wort feels to be sticking to the bottom of the pot, however it is not... I found that this is just the feeling of the boiling bubbles that form when doing an... um... BOIL! hahaha In any case, I stir frequently to play it safe.

5gB

Back