Spent Shell Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
19*L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 58*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 65*
Tasting Notes
Nice, smooth chocolatey-pecan flavor and smooth finish.
Fermentables:
3 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 80
8 oz Aromatic Malt
4 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Flaked Oats
3 lbs Golden Light DME

Hops:
1 oz East Kent Goldings (60 mins)
1/2 oz Willamette (20 mins)
1/2 oz Willamette (5 mins)

Yeast: Nottingham (1 package)

Misc: 1 pound chopped pecans, roasted (secondary)

This is my favorite late-fall/early-winter beer. It has a slightly chocolatey flavor that goes nicely with the pecan flavor and a smooth finish from the oats. It's great after a day of hunting, raking leaves, or just plain staying out of the cold.

I mash all the grains for an hour at 152*, then sparge at 170*. I then add the DME and bring to a boil, then follow the hop schedule.

I tried something different with this batch and kept the primary fermentation temps really low- Nottingham is able to ferment at near-lager temps. This did slow my fermentation down, but I can't see any negative effects from that. It still finished on time.

The pecans were roasted in a 350* oven for 10-15 minutes, then patted dry with paper towels. This is important to do- if you don't get all the pecan oil off, it effects the body of the beer, which will make it watery with a thin head. It will still taste good, though. I put the pecans in a grain bag and then racked onto them in secondary, let them sit in secondary the entire 7 days then bottled.

Enjoy!

Back