What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning up after bottling yesterday. Darn back & hips only let me do so much. Nice to see the pipeline starting to fill again! Nice trade for the bench capper!

...Opened up to find my 5.5 gal batch drained to just over the 3 gal mark.

Apparently in my rush, and dark garage, I shoved the blow off tube down into the liquid. Doh!!! Yeah, don't do that...

I'll try and be optimistic. Still smells great and fermentation still chugging along, with what's left of it...

... Bottled this today. Ended up with 2.75 gal in the bottle. Still pissed it should have been at least 5. Tasted great though, so not a total fail. Had a nice moderate bitterness and good citrus cascade hop flavor. Should be really nice after carbing up.

Also got ingredients in for a hefe with WLP300 to brew in a couple weeks (Frank's Hefeweizen from Midwest). Picked up a pair of 6.5 gal big mouth bubblers in their buy 1 get 1 from last weekend, and thought a nice light hefe sounded good for summertime.

... Bottled this today. Ended up with 2.75 gal in the bottle. Still pissed it should have been at least 5. Tasted great though, so not a total fail. Had a nice moderate bitterness and good citrus cascade hop flavor. Should be really nice after carbing up.

Also got ingredients in for a hefe with WLP300 to brew in a couple weeks (Frank's Hefeweizen from Midwest). Picked up a pair of 6.5 gal big mouth bubblers in their buy 1 get 1 from last weekend, and thought a nice light hefe sounded good for summertime.

Glad it ended up nicely for you. One thing you'll never do again...check that off the list.

Well, after getting 50 1/2 12oz bottles of my Buckeye Red Friday, I was faced with the usual clean-up of buckets, hoses, etc. Then, it crossed my mind Friday night while trying to get to sleep to just try the garden hose. I rinses the yeast out of the primary bucket & flushed it, as usual. Figured the caker near the corner of my lot in the sewwy hole system could use the help?
Anyway, I then took the primary, bottling bucket & home depot bucket outside & turned on the hose. I adjusted it for a tight spray of 2-3 inches at the point of contact. As long as the gunk is still wet/moist, it blasts right off slick as a hound's tooth! The krausen ring came right off with no sticky residue. Ran a gallon or so of clean water through the spigots as well. I love this quick & dirty way of getting my buckets clean! No more measuring out PBW into them, then hauling water back & forth, which with my bad joints takes seemingly forever. Then draining/rinsing/drying. Funk that! I'll just hose'em down real quick from now on to save time & water. :tank::rockin::ban::rockin:

Raining like crazy today, perfect day to brew, I'm doing a Wheat beer but i"m using a mixture of three yeasts I had from previous batches, A wienstephan 3068, A White labs WLP-833 bock, and a White labs WLP-320 American wheat.
We'll see how it turns out, it's a good experiment.

Was raining pretty good here for an hour at least. Thunder-boomers led the storm in from a distance. The 1st FG on my dry stout was 1.012. Still a bit green tasting, but some roasty coffee flavor showing through from the English chocolate malt.

Raining like crazy today, perfect day to brew, I'm doing a Wheat beer but i"m using a mixture of three yeasts I had from previous batches, A wienstephan 3068, A White labs WLP-833 bock, and a White labs WLP-320 American wheat.
We'll see how it turns out, it's a good experiment.

Not sure if the 833 is a good idea, it likes it a lot colder than the others.

As for what I did: brewed an table saison with oats and bottles a sour saison.

Measured out some PBW in my gallon jug to make more cleaner solution. Go some bottles to clean yet. At least the man cave/brewery is looking better. If FG is stable tomorrow or Wednesday, I can get my dry stout into secondary with the oak & bourbon. Glad I realized the garden hose cleans gunky fermenters quick & easy. Saves time & money.

Measured out some PBW in my gallon jug to make more cleaner solution. Go some bottles to clean yet. At least the man cave/brewery is looking better. If FG is stable tomorrow or Wednesday, I can get my dry stout into secondary with the oak & bourbon. Glad I realized the garden hose cleans gunky fermenters quick & easy. Saves time & money.

Hope yours will turn out better then mine.

View attachment 1434418703755.jpg

Changed out frozen water bottles (2L) in my two swamp coolers in prep of the anticipated high temp of 103* today.

Hope yours will turn out better then mine.

Looks great, save for the easy-to-get big head. Mine needs to finish & get rid of some green flavor from the 1st FG sample Sunday. Tasted like roasty coffee with a bit of semi-sweet chocolate so far. I used Black Prinz & English chocolate malt in the mash. I have 1 1/2ozs American white oak chips on a little Beam's Black 8 year-old bourbon in the fridge.

Last edited:
Burned my fingers brewing my first crack at a blonde ale. :( Better taste really good!

Looks great, save for the easy-to-get big head. Mine needs to finish & get rid of some green flavor from the 1st FG sample Sunday. Tasted like roasty coffee with a bit of semi-sweet chocolate so far. I used Black Prinz & English chocolate malt in the mash. I have 1 1/5ozs American white oak chips on a little Beam's Black 8 year-old bourbon in the fridge.

So the answer is YES, yours will be better. No more imperial stouts with Makers Mark soaked with vanilla...ever.

This is now working on my Pliny. Cheap temp controller.

View attachment 1434587335640.jpg

What I did for beer today....I went to the fridge after I got home from work and grabbed my next to last bottle of Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler from the six pack I bought about a week ago. Yeah, I know...it's not homebrew, but for a commercial beer, it is really good. :tank:

So the answer is YES, yours will be better. No more imperial stouts with Makers Mark soaked with vanilla...ever.

This is now working on my Pliny. Cheap temp controller.

That's IF the sharp, green flavor goes away! The Black Prinz malt is made so that it doesn't have that harsh, roasted flavor, so less conditioning to get it smooth. The American white oak is definitely more pronounced than the others. I hope the smaller amount finally gets just right this time! I'll take another FG sample tomorrow & see where I'm at...:mug:
At least I'm back on my desktop, even though I have a lot of file associations to reconnect. Like Bones reconnecting nerve endings in Spock's brain...:drunk:

Took a measurement of my Cream Ale, dropped trub, switched from blow off to airlock, and cold crashed...time to Lager.

That's IF the sharp, green flavor goes away! The Black Prinz malt is made so that it doesn't have that harsh, roasted flavor, so less conditioning to get it smooth. The American white oak is definitely more pronounced than the others. I hope the smaller amount finally gets just right this time! I'll take another FG sample tomorrow & see where I'm at...:mug:
At least I'm back on my desktop, even though I have a lot of file associations to reconnect. Like Bones reconnecting nerve endings in Spock's brain...:drunk:

Thanks for heads up on that black Prinz. I have all grains for an RIS, try and use it next time.

View attachment 1434665453314.jpg

I bottled two firsts last night.

My first mead: Clove-spiced fizzy melomel (5.5% ABV)

My first no-boil beer: Belgian Summer (5% ABV) (Here's hoping it tastes ok)

You know, it's a good thing I post about my brew days, OG's, FG's, etc on here all the time. After that malware attack on 6/11, I lost some BS2 notes & was able to recover part of the information from my posts on those days. Good thing I yak about such things in a happy state of mind on brew/bottling days. At least I was able to recover some information to add back to my brew notes. Something to keep in mind, folks! :mug:

Bottling a Flanders red, then brewing a oud bruin to go on the washed cake. Going to harvest some of the cake for later uses too.

Pulled some 3068 off a slant for step one in a starter. Brewing a hefeweizen next weekend.

Gotta check my dry stout & see if it's ready for secondary today. We have our 40th class reunion on 7/18, & I wanted to add some bottles of Whiskely to the 12'r I wanna take for an after-party. The stout may not make it...

Yesterday I tapped and got a first taste of a BCS Brown Porter that's been carbing for 8 days (before you ask "what's wrong with you???" - I was away on business that whole time or I totally would have hit it before).

Pretty bright/lively on the front-end with roasty aromas lifting off the head and moderately rich flavors. Good mouth feel. Very drinkable IMO but I'll be looking for second opinions later today...

Also threw two kegs of BCS American Amber in the kegerator to chill. They had been conditioning in the keg for 10 days. Will put them on gas today.

Back