DME Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on how to prevent DME from clumping? I try to pour it really slow but this usually just leads to the steam causing it to clump at the mouth of the bag rather than in the pot.

Not much you can do but pour slowly & stir quickly. The lil clumps do dissolve in a couple of mins anyway,ime. Then I scrape the opening in the bag with my long handled spoon.

I think the key is removing the heat source. Then I don't really care if it clumps a little, just stir or whisk it for awhile and its all good. I experimented with slow dumping far awhile, now I just dump the works, whisk and return to heat.

Use a whisk. You can put the DME in a bowl before adding it, if clumping at the bag is an issue.

Take the pot off the heat, and stir in the dme with a whisk. Keep whisking until it's completely glob-less, which should take less than a minute. Then put it back on the heat and double check to make sure you got all the clumps.

I think the key is removing the heat source. Then I don't really care if it clumps a little, just stir or whisk it for awhile and its all good. I experimented with slow dumping far awhile, now I just dump the works, whisk and return to heat.

+1. You can't really do much about the clumps... I will normally add the DME right before it boils, or wait after it boils, but remove it from the heat...

That will keep boilovers away, and you can dump the DME faster...

Transfer the DME to a cleaned bowl and dump from that then just slosh the bowl in the wort to get any left-over clumps.

Back