keg clogging`

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Well I made my first IPA and dry hopped for the first time. Like most other things I've racked my beer on I expected the hops to end up sinking to the bottom and they didn't. Well needless to say I sucked up quite a bit of hops into the keg when I racked the beer. It's partially carbonated now and when I went to test it, it wasn't pouring as quickly as my stout in the other keg, plus lots of hop particles came out. I don't have a spare keg to rack this into so what should I do? I was thinking about just racking into a spare fermenter while straining out the hops and then racking back into the keg after I do a quick clean up. Would I run into any problems doing this?

There's a risk of oxidation, depending on how you do it - pouring through a strainer would be problematic. And then there's always the risk of infection every time you transfer. Otherwise, I can't think of anything.

Not exactly on topic but what about dry hopping in your keg? Should the hops (whole hops) be suspended some how in the keg so they won't clog the dip tube? Should I use a cheese cloth to hold the hops? or one of the stainless hop balls that are out on the market?

Klogs. I thought this was going to be a mix of Stomp and Riverdance. That sounds a lot more fun than your tube clogging up.

Back