Best combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Hey all. I have two kegs I'm looking forward to filling. I've got a pilsner and an English IPA that will be ready at the same time to keg. They will probably be the inaugural beers for my kegging setup. However, what recommendations do you have for the best 1,2 punch for the next two beers to put in the keg? Which combos are the best?

I just got my second keg not too long ago and I struggled with this initially, but I settled on just having two distinct beers on once.

Right now I have a home brewed blonde ale and a local brew pub's stout on tap. I expect to kill the stout before the blonde, and then I'm gonna fill the empty w/ a home brewed brown ale. If I dont have any home brew to replace the blonde when it kicks, I'll probably get another fill from the brew pub of something that is not even close to brown ale and so on...

i like to go with the light and dark combo. something crisp and refreshing to pair with a maltier, robust beer. off the top of my head these pairing sound pretty good:

Cream ale with an English brown.
Graff/cider with a stout.
Hefe and an alt/bock.

If it was me and I was brewing for my own tastes, one malty beer, one hoppy beer.

now if I was trying to please my visitors I might go a different route.

So RIS and a pilsner or RIS and a hoppy amber ale (like troegs hopback amber)? This will have to wait until the Curieux clone and schwarzbier are kicked in the 2 tap new kegerator, so I've got some time, but wanted opinions

A year later, I've made another RIS (Kate the Great), and I would still love some suggestions for a combo with that...and my wife just bought me a 50lb sack of 2-row and a barley crusher so I'm pretty pumped to brew something to match up with that RIS, which will probably be ready about February.

I like having contrast, dark / light, hoppy / malty. I've also done two saisons when trying to craft a recipe so I could compare side by side.

Back