Inexpensive way to get into a 20lb CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for "welding supply shop" such as a company called "airgas"
If you are dead set on using coke/pepsi why not just ask the people at any restaraunt that has a soda fountain?

Step 1 - call Walmart for the number
Step 2 - call the distributor for directions

Sorry to dig up a very old thread but how does one locate their local pepsi or coke distributor? I've been searching google and I can't seem to make any headway. In this thread most people just say they saw it driving by...

-Frozen

There is a Coke bottling plant near me but it is locked up tight with gates and security......Its hard to believe they would do that with tanks. If you look under jobs everything will be online(probably no address or number) and they will call you, so best bet might be to get a job for Coke or Pepsi I think.

Sorry to dig up a very old thread but how does one locate their local pepsi or coke distributor? I've been searching google and I can't seem to make any headway. In this thread most people just say they saw it driving by...

-Frozen

I would advise against going the coke/pepsi route, I inherited an old pepsi tank and had a shop flat out refuse to fill it for me because it's illegal for them to be owned by a "civilian" or something to that effect...eventually went to a slightly less scrupulous place who swapped it out for a regular tank.

So I had to expand my search parameters and I was able to find a few coke and pepsi branches. Both companies gave the same response: You have to have an account with use and they'll deliver to only businesses. I think it must be a regional thing, or maybe the people on the phone don't realize they have this service.

I'm the originator of this post. When I took my empty tank back to Pepsi to refill they said they couldn't give tanks to non-accounts anymore. The did give back the deposit. Think I had found a one time loophole. Ended up buying a tank on ebay and getting refilled at welding shop.

Thanks for coming back and clearing everything up!

Right now I have 2 big decisions to make.

Decision #1) Siphon valve versus gas valve. I have a mini paintball tank that I use to carbonate beer and soda when needed (its portable too). If it get a siphon tank I could refill that and keep using the paintball tank as needed. Or I could get a gas tank and use that Although it might be a bit tedious to move it around.

Decision #2) Buy a crap tank and use a "swap" service like air gas or craigslist. Or buy a nicer tank (maybe aluminum) and take it a specialty place that will fill it up for me. There are pros and cons to each method.

If anyone has any opinions let me know!

Thanks,
Frozen

Aluminum is really only better for the weight, I mean, it's a CO2 tank it doesn't matter much. They do look a little nicer but mine is wedged in between two fridges and no one can see them. Other side is you will pay more and it makes swaps a little harder because you could trade away that nice shiny tank for a crappy one. But steel tanks are ****ing heavy...

I live in the industrious state of Colorado where the manufacture of a certain genetic cousin of hops is legal...benefit to homebrewers though is that I go to Grow Supply shops and get my CO2 there. $7 for a 20# swap!

Buying a crap tank and using a swap service works if the price of gas is competitive. Around here owning a tank is better IMO as a refill is cheaper...does it really pay....who knows depends how much gas you use.

if someone has 1 that can't get filled because of some company rule about who it's owned by, that's understandable.

on a different note, i once went to a big box home repair place, and they swap without checking. a little more expensive for the swap, but you get another pressure-checked tank...

So....I just called my local Pepsi distributer....and was told I could BUY, without a trade in....a 20lb tank for $30. I will be on my way shortly!

Sure enough! I just paid $33 for a full 20lb tank. The hydro stamp expires this month, but that won't matter when I trade it in. Heck of a deal!!!! And I got a receipt showing I BOUGHT the tank, not renting it!

Latest posts

Back