To stir or not to stir continuously

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
Hi all,
during my first brew (extract with specialty grains) some weeks ago, I stired continuously during all the boil of the wort (the 60 minutes). But I wonder if that was necessary. Sure, I know it's important to stir when adding the DME/LME to prevent scorching. But do I need to keep stirring during all the boil? I was fearing hops pellet to stick on the bottom of the pot...

I'm just looking back at my brew session and tweaking my process right now.

Well, at what frequency should I stir? I know, it's important to keep an eye on the boil, but it would be much more easier if I don't have to stir it continuously, thus losing more heat.

Once the extract is mixed in, there is no need to stir. In fact, I don't stir at all once the boil starts, unless it foams up when hops are added. Then I'll just scrape the sides of the kettle and let it go.

No need to stir continuously. I may (gently) stir the boil once during the hour - no stuck hops or evidence of scorching.

I give the wort a stir every few minutes just to make sure I don't have hops sticking to the bottom or anything. When I add extract, I stir continuously for a few minutes just to make sure it gets totally incorporated, but that's it.

The boil is agitating the wort, but I admit to stirring occasionally. i think it's just because I want to look at it and smell it.

All this stirring in not necessary. Once the extract is properly dissolved there is no need to stir during the boil.

I stir every few minutes for two reasons. 1) Pellet hop additions sometimes "carpet" on the top, and 2) I can't leave well alone! :D

Latest posts

Back