Pumpkin beer lacking in pumpkin flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurc51

Reaction score
Hi,

A few days ago I racked my pumpkin brew from the primary to secondary. It had been in the primary for 2 weeks. I sampled the beer and was surprised that I didn't get any pumpkin taste or aroma. In addition to the recipe below, I added about 10 pounds of fresh roasted pumpkin to the mash. My question is this: can I add more pumpkin spice at this point? Or, was the beer too green to sense the pumpkin? I was thinking about adding more pumpkin spice because 1tsp seems light compared to other recipes I've seen.

Thanks,

EMU

"Smashing Pumpkin" (Northern Brewer)
Fermentables
7.5 lbs. Rahr 2-row
2.5 lbs. Munich
.5 lbs. Briess Caramel 80
.25 lbs. Briess Caramel 60

Boil Additions
1 oz. Cluster (60 min)
1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (0 min)

dry yeast
Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F.

Adding nutmeg and coriander to a pumpkin ale will also help in achieving a traditional Pumpkin spice flavor, Rogue brewing employs those ingredients as well as a lot of other Pumpkin ales that I have had.

Way under spiced IMO. Here's my spicing routine, which added a very nice spice flavor:

Allspice .25 oz
Nutmeg .25 oz
Cinnamon .42 oz
Ginger .17 oz

As far as adding more now, I am not sure, might overpower it. Maybe if you boil a little spice up and add it in, then leave it in the secondary for a few more days at least.

I say rack to a secondary and add more spice by making a spice tea (see below). As mentioned, you don't really get "pumpkin" flavor and aroma from pumpkin. Its also important to use fresh, quality, spices. Just like using old hops, using old or poor quality (Winco bulk spices) is not going to do much. The Thundestruck Pumpkin Ale on this forum uses 1 to 1&1/2 tsp of quality spice and it turned out deliciously pumpkin-y! If you're not sure how much more to add, add some spice tea in small amounts, over a week or two, tasting each time.

Spice tea: Steep spices in one cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool, add to secondary.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back