leaving ales in the primary more than 10 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These Primary vs. Secondary debates seem to pop up often, and I never know what to think. I'll be brewing my first batch in a few weeks, and I still haven't decided if I'm going to secondary, or not. It seems that with each of these threads I make a different decision.

I guess, as most have pointed out, I'll try both and see which results I like better.

Is it possible to leave it in the primary/secondary too long?

I have a cream ale, OG: 1.04, FG 1.008, made with 7 lbs LME.
All went to plan, 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary.
Then I bottled it. It was a kit, and they supplied 8 oz of corn sugar for priming - I probably only should have used 5 oz. I have plastic bottles, so no worry on bottle bombs.

I was very patient and waited 6 weeks after bottling.

On week 6, I put one in the fridge for 3 days for testing. I tested it - expecting a nicely finished beer, but instead it was sour green apples.

Did I leave it on the primary too long and maybe too much yeast dropped out?

:(

Heh, sorta right along with the just give it time advice, this is an off flavor that that is discussed here:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

"Acetaldehyde=A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition."

The yeast may have lagged; I have taken to swirling the primary and giving it a couple more days before even taking a hydrometer reading, to see if it should be racked, just because.

I had a big stout in a bottle that a friend of a friend gave us to taste, that had this and it actually paired quite good with the heavy chocolate stout; thing is it won't last. I wish I knew how to make such a natural flavor of green apples as this was because it was friggin awesome in that beer.

Heh, sorta right along with the just give it time advice, this is an off flavor that that is discussed here:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

"Acetaldehyde=A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition."

The yeast may have lagged; I have taken to swirling the primary and giving it a couple more days before even taking a hydrometer reading, to see if it should be racked, just because.

I had a big stout in a bottle that a friend of a friend gave us to taste, that had this and it actually paired quite good with the heavy chocolate stout; thing is it won't last. I wish I knew how to make such a natural flavor of green apples as this was because it was friggin awesome in that beer.

Yeah...he doesn't say actually (unless I missed it) how long the beer was actually in the bottle. That is usually more of a factor than how long a beer sits in primary or secondary. That usually has to do with Bottle Conditioning.

Revvy's Blog-"Of patience and Bottle Conditioning."

Actually I drank about 25% of the bottle. Green Apple Cream Ale was not what I was aiming to make, but it was drinkable, but not great. It might be good if you had a real green apple taste somehow, but not this green beer. Green Apple beer might actually be good.

Maybe this funny, but I considered drinking it all, but dumped it as I did not know if it was going to put me on the toilet for a day.

It tasted fine on bottling day, no green apple taste, so it happened in the bottle. It's been in the bottle for 6 weeks now.

I'll pack it away for a month and then test it again. It's my second batch of beer, so still developing my skills.

Back