Vocab Question and What Next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramsbottom_Brewer

Reaction score
Am mid way threw my first brew am reading like crazy to work out what to brew next. I am a little confused with the references to 'kits'.

I brewed using two tins that came with thick liquid in with some yeast in a packet taped to them. (I am a newbie after all!) It was Woodforde's Wherry Best Bitter.

I thought these were called kits. I have seen the word 'kits' used to describe the boxes that come with all the raw ingredients.

What did I use if it was not a kit? Have I been conned into using some low grade rubbish?

And also, would you recommend I use some more of the simple tins until I get fully into it or dive in and buy a 'proper' kit.

Mark.

A kit is just a pre-packaged recipe. It can be hopped extract, extract-only with separate hops, extract with specialty grains, partial mash or all grain.

It sounds like you were using pre-hopped cans of extract. I would move up to extract with specialty grains - the beer will taste better, and it's still very easy to make.

I suggest reading How to Brew, which can be purchased at pretty much any bookstore and homebrew supply store. An older version of the book is also online at How to Brew - By John Palmer.

Some people call a it a "canned kit" like what you just used.It's not bad at all.In fact I think it's a great way to start.Right now you want to concentrate on getting the steps right and worry about the quality later.Don't worry---you'll be very happy w/ what you brewed.There are also "boxed kits" which have steeping grains and hops etc. all separated which is the next level up from a canned kit.Oh,Wheres' you at Bo?

Thanks for the help. I don't want to get carried away at this early stage. Looks like I'll do a bit of reading and go one step up. Give me a few years and my wife 'sewing room' will be a full blown brewery! I'm in the UK by the way. Beer brewing seems to transcend nationality and I've learned loads so far just by reading. Thanks.

Get carried away. Go crazy. Brew tons of beer and have a great time. This is one of those hobbies your friends will support (because they get free beer) and you will have a blast. The kits with specilty grains are very easy, just a few steps more than the kits where you open a few cans and you're done. You will get a better sense of satisfaction from the process and soon be ready to move up to partial mash and then AG. This bug spreads fast and hits hard (usually right in the wallet), so be careful, have fun and happy brewing.

Back