Airlock Suck-Back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
This evening, I absent-mindedly put my hand on the lid to my primary. It was enough pressure that it forced some bubbles up through the airlock...but then some water from the lock was sucked back down into the brew! It's about day 11, so by all accounts fermentation is done or very close to being done.

The airlock had been sterilized prior to putting it on there, and I used spring water right out of the bottle...should I be worrying? Also, should I top off the airlock, as the level is now down by about half.

I did that first time (5 weeks ago) and I panic posted on here too. You are about to get 25 replies from folks saying, "don't worry", "beer is hard to ruin", "welcome", etc. :D

Okay, I am #2... 23 more to go! It will be fine, the alcohol and ph will keep it safe.

I use cheap vodka in the airlock just to be on the A-retentive side. But it's probably not necessary. Most brewers use water and never have a problem.

Bottom line: Relax and have a home brew. :mug:

This might not be the recommended thing to do, but I just don't fill my airlocks up to halfway. I fill them far enough up that there isn't an airgap under the inner cup anymore and it bubbles like normal, but there isn't enough liquid to get up to the top of the inner tube part to suck back into the fermenter.

I just started using the 3 piece airlocks and I've noticed suck back on pretty much every use. I never had this problem when using the S shaped airlocks. Sure it would blow some of the water out on strong ferments, but that's better than sucking in IMO. It never blew enough out to not seal off though.

Mike

Actually, I think the 3 piece airlocks are designed so that when filled to the correct level it is impossible to get suck back. At least mine seems to be. Is it possible that a lot of people are over-filling them?

I fill my airlock with starsan, and I don't worry at all if a little gets sucked in. Nor should you worry about a little water, atp or otherwise. Just be patient and enjoy your beer when it's ready!

Actually, I think the 3 piece airlocks are designed so that when filled to the correct level it is impossible to get suck back. At least mine seems to be. Is it possible that a lot of people are over-filling them?

I fill my airlock with starsan, and I don't worry at all if a little gets sucked in. Nor should you worry about a little water, atp or otherwise. Just be patient and enjoy your beer when it's ready!
I fill mine with StarSan also. No worries. Suck back feeds the yeast.

Mine gets StarSan too... we have so much in common, we are soulmates

I use Grey Goose Vodka. Makes my wife nuts when I raid her booze, but I like a neutral high grade booze in my beer. I use Glenlivet 12 Year scotch with my barley wines.

I use a weak star san solution or REALLY GOOD VODKA. Not cheap. I had a friend bring me back some Vodka from Russia and I use that. It actually was cheap in price but still REALLY GOOD QUALITY....My beer is too good to be guarded by Aristocrat or some other bottom shelf schwag LOL.

When a 3pc is filled to the fill line it is prone to suck back. First the inner cup gets pulled down. Once it's down any further sucking pulls the liquid through.

This happened to me the last week when a cold front came through the ambient temp in my house fell from 80F to 65F. About half of the vodka in the 3pc sucked into the mead.

I prefer S-type airlocks for this (and aesthetic/entertainment) reasons.

It MAY be good, but on the 2 batches that I had this happen to me, yes both batches were a little infected. White slime bubbles on top, Brett or ?? Now I use only cheap vodka in the airlock, no problems since. Both batches were however great, needed to age a little longer but OMG!

It MAY be good, but on the 2 batches that I had this happen to me, yes both batches were a little infected. White slime bubbles on top, Brett or ?? Now I use only cheap vodka in the airlock, no problems since. Both batches were however great, needed to age a little longer but OMG!

Are you sure those bubbles weren't the remnants of Kräusen? I've seen yeast do some pretty funky things. I suppose I'm saying, if both batches tasted great, how can you determine that they were infected?

What malt whisky would be the most perfect for airlock in case of suckback, you think?

Back