crystal 60 compared to caramunich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks: Plan to brew over New years day and do not have time to stop by the LBS. I am making a porter and was wondering how the recipe would change if I swapped out crystal 60 for caramunich.Thanks

The cara munich will have more toast/biscuit like qualities than the crystal 60.

If you use American crystal 60 the difference will be more pronounced. I find the American specialty malts to be a bit more one dimensional.

I guess candy/burnt sweetness compared to toasted is a fair description per the manufacturers.

I have used it as a substitute in my IPA for American Crystal 60 and I was quite happy with it. It definitely gave my beer a little more depth. I was only using .75 pounds of crystal 60, so it wasn't a ton of Caramunich...

Thanks I wanted a more toasty flavor and less sweetness. My recipe is for .5 lb.
I also have an IPA on deck so maybe I might try that as well. A lot of brewing going down this weekend, trying for 3...but we'll see.
Happy New Year guys

Back