Does anyone have a Budweiser clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The American Light Lager (Budweiser) is probably one of the most difficult beers to clone. Difficult to match color. Also because the price of Bud/Light is relatively cheap, you are not going to be able to make Clone Bud cheaper than buying it.

Not sure why you would want to make a Bud Clone unless you are trying to introduce non-homebrew friends to good beer without giving them something too intense right away. In that case a low-hopped pale ale might make a good introductory beer.

But, if you do decide to make one, good luck and I hope it works out for you.

My local WalMart has hundreds of them, for less money than you could ever brew it.

I don't knock Budweiser at all. I respect beer in general even if I don't care for the style. But I have to ask, are you wanting to brew this as a test of your brewing skill?

If yes, I feel obligated to warn you that not even Budweiser can make it consistently. They blend several batches to make a consistent product that reaches your shelf.

Unless you're up for the challenge of brewing a BMC-type beer, it's definitely cheaper just to buy it. I don't like the swill, but the BMCs do a great job of making a consistent beer for a style that is hard to do that with.

Why not a blonde ale? Or maybe a cream ale? Close-ish but more flavor...

Just a thought

Why do you want to brew a bud?

In all honesty I did a Lone Star clone awhile back and it's just now coming out pretty good (for what it is)

I think it was something like (don't hold me to it)

10lb 2row
2or3lb flaked maze

1oz Saaz for bittering and maybe a little for aroma...can't remember

I did it with Kolsch yeast, just lager it for a while and it should be ok.

It was an www.austinhomebrew.com kit but they've since discontinued it

Just a test....Thats all. I want to see if I can come close. Also my friends say that it cannot be done so that pushes me ever harder. I am just one of those guys. Well also I guess I am kinda trying to introduce them into home brew but nothing to strong. Figure out what they like and perfect it I want to make something with high ABV and easy to drink. A cream ale would work I guess. Anyone got a perfect cream ale? Thanks for all of you help.....

8 lbs 2-row (or 6 row)
2 lbs flaked rice

Mash and boil 90 min
O.G. ~1.045

Hallertau for 60 min ~ 12 IBU

White Labs WLP840 at 10 C

Check out the recipe data base. Lots of good stuff there.

Yooper's got a cream ale recipe that looks pretty good.

Personally I'd go for an all malt brew, like a blonde

Good luck!

oh, and are you brewing AG or extract?

Does anyone else pick up a distinct orange flavor from Bud? It comes through very clearly for me. I wonder if it's an ester from the yeast, or their hops or... ?

bensyverson said:
Does anyone else pick up a distinct orange flavor from Bud? It comes through very clearly for me. I wonder if it's an ester from the yeast, or their hops or... ?

the guy on the "bottling line" ate some oranges for breakfast. I think his name was ester. he was hopping up and down on the line. thus, you tasted orange in your bud. :eek:

bensyverson said:

hops? The closest bud gets to hops is if the delivery truck passes by an LHBS.;)

I think it's hilarious every time someone asks for a BMC recipe!! There is always such a feud that brews (no pun intended). Come on guys who cares if it's cheaper to buy he wants to try it, let em.

farmbrewernw said:
...Come on guys who cares if it's cheaper to buy he wants to try it, let em.

+1 Quit ragging on Bud.

Sweet screaming Jesus, how many times do I have to read "piss in a bottle" or "wave the hops in its general direction"? Ha Ha Ha Good One! Thats super original.

American Light Lager is extremely difficult to make and I seriously doubt any of you could even come close. I know I couldn't.

The OP says he wants to do it as a test, as a challenge. I think he should be encouraged to try and I'd really like it if he came back and posted his results. Do you think he will if all he gets for his efforts are juvenile "piss in a bottle" comments from the peanut gallery?

My Dad, bless his heart, asked me, "Can't you make something like Bud?"

So I tried, I really really did. It ain't easy. I used a massive amount of rice, and some flaked corn. The sediment in the bottom of the bottle is just massively thick, and it still didn't turn out anywhere nearly like Crud.

I won't waste my time again, Dad or no Dad.

I think there is a clone recipe for Budweiser on howtobrew.com. Or some close derivation of it...

OKAY Im the OP... I find the jokes very funny. I personally dont drink bud light, but I am doing this for a test and for my friend. I am not sure if I can do it and if I do if I will tell you anyway.JK. But I really do appreciate the comments and thank you all. I am really lucky to find a site like this. You all are awsome. Thanks...:drunk:

I think that some of us should try and make a clone. If we get 50 of to try this and we all post our results then TOGETHER we all could come up with a clone. What do you all think. If we all post our results and review the changes, we all could do this very simply. I am not sure if you guys would want to try but this would be kinda cool.....Let me know. I am going to start on the 15th of march and will post my recipe. And log my steps and results. :rockin:

There's a recipe here: http://***********/feature/1401.html

Scrll down to the bottom of the page.

Mr.TC said:
I think that some of us should try and make a clone. If we get 50 of to try this and we all post our results then TOGETHER we all could come up with a clone. What do you all think. If we all post our results and review the changes, we all could do this very simply. I am not sure if you guys would want to try but this would be kinda cool.....Let me know. I am going to start on the 15th of march and will post my recipe. And log my steps and results. :rockin:

I think you are kind of reading my mind. I don't like bud (would drink a Miller Lite first) but what would be cool is this.
Some of us make a recipe (each of us) to clone a bud. We each brew it and age it. Then we do a beer swap and see who made the best one and the closest to the real deal.

I guess I don't see the problem with someone wanting to make homebrew Bud. A case of it is somewhere around $15 (I think), so surely making a 5 gallon batch would be cheaper considering the cheaper grain, adjunct and generic lager yeast. Probably not worth the time you'd have to put into it, but I think it's a pretty good idea.

Okay we need to make a start date. How long are we going to age for? Are we making a light american pale ale or regular pale ale. Or does it matter? I say that we start a new thread. Any one OP?:mug:

Beerthoven said:
There's a recipe here: http://***********/feature/1401.html

Scrll down to the bottom of the page.

Nice article, but :off: Schwarzbier is not spelled [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Schwartzbier[/FONT].
Kai

+1 on the cream ale...mine was something like this (don't have my changes with me)
Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.0 0.50 lbs. Munich Malt Belgium 1.038 8
5.0 0.50 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
10.0 1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2
10.0 1.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
70.0 7.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.00 17.9 90 min.
0.50 oz. Saazer Whole 3.60 2.0 15 min.

Yeast
-----

WLP080 - Cream Ale Yeast Blend

i think the most important part is the yeast...you need that lager/ale mix to get the nice clean flavor. i added the munich and vienna to give a slight malty background, you could probably replace those with 2-row and replace the wheat with flaked corn to make it more authentic.

this was probably one of my best beers ever, tho :mug:

The problem is...bud isn't an ale... but a lager...So what is the time frame for the challenge???? Perfect for a hop shortage and high grain prices..I'm in.

Midwest has a bud clone in it's catalog. They call it a "Plain American Ale"...isn't bud a lager?
I would think you could come close with a VERY light SMaSH with very short boil...for those of us stuck in the Extract World. Does this sound reasonable?

I always have loved Bud. On a hot day, there's nothing like the taste. Its light, and kind of sweet and it goes down smooth. I taste a hint of banana in the aftertaste. My father always drank them when I was little. If I'm going to be doing a lot of swilling, like on a poker night in the cellar, ill drink Buds all night. Unless I have some kind of low alcohol home brew on hand. Labatts Blue is my second favorite light lager, there really clean tasting.

Budweiser just gives me a coffee grinder head ache the next day.

I also like Black Labels when I'm on the cheap. There relatively clean tasting with no head ache.

This is a link that someone sent me in another thread on how to make an American lager using rice.

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/20040801.php

If you want to clone Bud that's one thing. But if you want to introduce your friends to a good homebrew, try a Kolsch style; you can make it a higher % alchol and have a relatively light, clean, crisp flavor. The wife of one of my friends, the first time she drank it she drank like she would the piss water she normally drinks complimenting me on how good it was, and then later complained that my homebrew give such a hang over as even though I told her, she drank a bit more alcohol than she normally woould.

My recipe:
3.5 lbs. Bohemian Pilsner Malt (Moravian) 1.8L
0.5 lb. munich malt (4-7 L)
0.25 lbs Cyrstal 60L
1.0 lb. Wheat 2.0 L
4.5 lbs 2 row
mashed at 153F

1 oz. Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (2 minutes)

WPL 029 fermented at 62F

BigKahuna said:
I would think you could come close with a VERY light SMaSH with very short boil...for those of us stuck in the Extract World. Does this sound reasonable?
6.25 lbs LME
1.5 lbs rice syrup

Fairly simple.

I don't know how you handle the hops for extract brewing. Hallertau @ 10-15 IBU.

Papazian puts the IBU's for bud at 12. So there is your hops content. You could use whatever hops you want, but just hit a 12 IBU range. I think most "Lawnmower" Lagers would fit right in with the MBC style beer. I'm not to big a fan of the American Pilsners. I like my beer a little darker and heaver, but my wife loves a good light lager, balanced out and no bite.

Okay the start date for the mass trial is April 1 2008 You must brew on this day or around there. If you can. You must decide on the primary ferm and sec ferm length. Please if you are going to experiment with us remember that if you send/ exchange your brew with someone make it a steril as possible. Also if you plan to do this trial then Post your name so we all can keep track on this issue. IE...

Any other suggestions would be appreciated..:p

Mr.TC>Bud Trial.

Back