First time wine making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdeeley

Reaction score
I started my first kit off 2 weeks ago. A youngs peach wine, 1 gallon.

I followed the initial instructions, and after a week the wine appeared to have stopped fermenting. By that I mean 'bubbles' were passing through the airlock every 4 or 5 minutes or so. The wine shop where I bought the kit from told me that it would be ok to add the final sachets and leave the wine for clearing.

Its now 3 days since I added the stabiliser and wine finings and the wine is crystal clear but I notice, after removing and replacing the bung and airlock, that gas must still be coming off, as the water is being pushed through the airlock.

Its not happening frequently, it must be bubbling every 15 mins or so, but as I'm wanting to bottle the wine eventually, I was just wondering if this is normal? , as I dont want to bottle the wine if i'm going to end up with corks shooting out!

I don't know about that brand of kit specifically, but 2 weeks is really not much time for a wine. A month or so in primary, then another month in secondary, then a few months of bulk aging is about standard for wine. And that still leaves it quite young. You may have jumped the gun there a little bit. I would recommend giving it another couple weeks, and then doing some SG checks to see if fermentation is finished.

Latest posts

Back