Roasted barley.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffstuff

Reaction score
Hi , I'm looking to brew a simple dry stout. My issue is roasted barley is unavailable where I am . I have found roasted oats . Will these add a similar caracteristic to the beer or is it way off?
Thanks for any help

Certainly would not be even close to the same, but would still be excellent in a stout. Will still give some roasted taste, but are not nearly as intense as roasted barley. Up your qty from what is called for the barley and maybe add a dash of some crystal 120 or chocolate malt (or just up the qty an oz or two if already in your recipe)

Or you could try roasting your own barley? Or add coffee to get more roastiness into your stout. Don't forget the color, too - without roasted barley you may have to work to get it inky black.

Where in the world are you?

Thanks for that. I'm in south Korea. I can get most malted grain but can't find flaked or wheat barley .
I am following jamils dry stout recipe which calls for both but was having no luck

Thanks for that. I'm in south Korea. I can get most malted grain but can't find flaked or wheat barley .
I am following jamils dry stout recipe which calls for both but was having no luck

I assume you mean flaked or roasted barley? Wonder why that is? Seems like an odd omission if most other grains are available.

Yeah sorry flaked and roasted barley.
Yeah there is really only an online shop option here . I'm pretty new to brewing so I'm still unsure of what should be on offer.
My guess is that roasted barley and flaked barley are unmalted so they are not stocked but I have no idea if this is true or accurate.

I'll take any advice or hints you may have for a solid stout minus the roast. I can get Carafa 2 .

Carafa II is good, usually over 400L, but won't give you the astringency. If you feel that's missing, again, you could try adding some dark roasted coffee, too. But Carafa II is a good option, I think, in a 50/50 mix with chocolate malt.

Can you get any other dark roasted malts like black or chocolate malt? I use often use black malt in place of some or all of the roasted barley in stout recipes (people will talk about a harsh or charcoal taste if used in high amounts, I have yet to experience that). Otherwise another option if you can only get the chocolate is that plus some carafa like Pappers suggested.

I'd avoid the oats and coffee, since those involve a lot of oils and in moderate amounts are bad for head retention. The Carafa, as people have already point out, won't have the roasted bite that roasted barley gives. The Homebrewer's Garden by Joe Fisher and Dan Fisher says you can make roasted barley from clean, dry, unmalted barley by roasting it in the oven at 400F for about 70 minutes. You should spread it out on a baking sheet about 3/4 inch thick. Then you're supposed to let them cool and store them in a dry place for five to seven days so they can "mellow".

I haven't done it before.

Thanks for all the replies. From my limited knowledge carafa2 is the only black malt on the market. I think roasting my own will be the option. Could I roast a pilsner malt or pale ale malt. ( I have plenty of each) ?

?? Oats bad for head retention? I've actually seen the opposite..... I've made some Oatmeal stouts with a healthy amount of flaked oaks that had GREAT head retention......:confused:

From what I understand, though I'm willing to be corrected, oats in large proportions are bad for head retention, although they can be beneficial in smaller amounts.
If you Ctrl+f the following and search "oats", it says the same thing I'm saying. http://***********/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/625-fabulous-foam Of course, there are all kinds of factors in head retention. The batch that I brewed with oats did not have terrible head retention, but it was worse than I would have expected. YMMV.

From what I understand, though I'm willing to be corrected, oats in large proportions are bad for head retention, although they can be beneficial in smaller amounts.
If you Ctrl+f the following and search "oats", it says the same thing I'm saying. http://***********/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/625-fabulous-foam Of course, there are all kinds of factors in head retention. The batch that I brewed with oats did not have terrible head retention, but it was worse than I would have expected. YMMV.

Agree there are many factors that can contribute or degrade head retention. It appears that entire article (haven't read it all yet) is devoted to the subject. When it comes to oats, I might give that it may reduce the overall amount of foam as they call it, but retention may actually be better not worse. Who knows, maybe a side by side test would show something else, but I haven't noticed problems from a practical application standpoint.

Thanks for all the replies. From my limited knowledge carafa2 is the only black malt on the market. I think roasting my own will be the option. Could I roast a pilsner malt or pale ale malt. ( I have plenty of each) ?

Roast the pale ale malt and pay close attention to it and stir it often during the 70 minute roast to help it heat evenly and prevent parts from burning.

I'm not sure that roasting malt will get you what you want - roasted barley is unmalted. The Carafa II seems like a safer option.

Latest posts

Back