New Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holzster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know most f you are saying - This again but well I am excited about this so I took detailed notes & pictures in case it helps one person out there. I have a price list & pictures of the installation - all 5 minutes of it. :) I know I might have gotten cheaper prices if I shopped around more but.....

Parts List & Prices:
1 - 10 Gallon Igloo Cooler (From Lowes BLUE not Orange!!) - $47.16
1 - 1/2 metal ball valve (From Lowes) - $9.24
2 - 1/2" X 1/2" Male Adapter Barb X MPT (From Lowes) - $4.58 for both
1 - Pack of #15 rubber O Rings i needed 2 - pack of 10 (From Lowes) - $2.37
1 - 5' 1/2 hose (From Lowes) $3.58
1 - Plumbers Tape - Free had this but would cost about $1.00 for the roll
1 - 12" Stainless Domed False Bottom (from homebrewstuff.com) - $37.12 (free shipping from ordering through Amazon)

Total Cost: $104.05

The pictures with steps will be in the next posts

Step 1 - Remove the valve that came with the cooler:

2013-01-05 10.40.49.jpg

2013-01-09 18.59.37.jpg

Step 5 - put the pieces together tighten well but not so hard it cracks remember there is no water pressure here just gravity at its best :)

2013-01-09 19.09.36.jpg

2013-01-09 19.09.58.jpg

How is that PVC going to play into things at 150 degrees? I don't think PVC is food grade. Is it?

How is that PVC going to play into things at 150 degrees? I don't think PVC is food grade. Is it?

Yeah, you ideally want to use CPVC at a minimum. Brass or copper is better. O-rings should probably be silicon too. PVC is food grade but CPVC is rated for higher temps.

Spintab said:
Yeah, you ideally want to use CPVC at a minimum. Brass or copper is better. O-rings should probably be silicon too. PVC is food grade but CPVC is rated for higher temps.

Good to know! I've been wanting to go the PVC route to save $ but was unsure... Not anymore, thanks!

Yeah. PVC is a no go at these temps. I used CPVC, but am changing it to copper.

CPVC is fine but not regular PVC. Oh, don't put any orings or seals on the outside of the cooler. The last thing you want is to fill the wall cavity with mash liquor if your inner seal fails. In fact, I recommend drilling a 1/8" weep hole in the bottom corner of the outside wall just under the valve so it tattletales a leak right away.

Did some research - although I will change the inside PVC - PVC can go to 140 degrees if under pressure, non presser it can go to 158-170 degrees, for normal thickness. the coupler thickness will go to 200-205 degrees.

But for about $5-10 bucks I will change it as I want to make sure it has no "off flavors"

small price to pay for insurance.

Yeah, we're not talking about the structural integrity. It's the leaching that could come with high temps and PVC.

Back