How many amps does a typical chest freezer draw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in using the STC-1000 aquarium heater control with a GE 7.0 chest freezer as a primary fermenter. A small heating unit is probably not a problem but my concern on the cooling end is that the SCT-1000 is rated for 10 amps. Has anybody used this setup without issue?

Edit:

Nevermind: answered here.

Would a fuse on the power end still make sense however?

lhommedieu said:
I'm interested in using the STC-1000 aquarium heater control with a GE 7.0 chest freezer as a primary fermenter. A small heating unit is probably not a problem but my concern on the cooling end is that the SCT-1000 is rated for 10 amps. Has anybody used this setup without issue?

Edit:

I'm not sure if this applies to all chest freezers or just the GE 7cf, but on the schematic it shows that the capillary thermostat switches a relay, so the controller rating only needs to be as high as the coil current (which should be very low) as long as you are replacing the original thermostat with your controller. I have this setup and it works great, I use a personal fan heater for heat which is well under 10 amps. In the thread you linked to he probably measured current on the main power wire which would show the full startup current draw. If you really want to be sure measure the wire coming off of the thermostat. Good luck.

Edit:

Get a GFCI adapter for your power socket, perhaps? Looks just like a wall-mounted surge protector that used to be popular back in the 90s.

Latest posts

Back