fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I do not have any palce to keep my fermenter cool nor store the bottles during carbonation. Our house just gets too warm to brew beer so a chamber of some type is in order. I don't have room for a full sized refrigerator, so I am looking at either a 4.4 cf minifridge or a similarly sized wine cooler. My question is just what is the temp ranges on one of these large wine coolers? Does anybody know? If the wine cooler is in the right temp range I won't have to buy an external thermostat. I can buy either of the above appliances for 114-149 new at Sams. Sams alsosells a complete kegerator for $449 which says it can be converted to a 6.6 cf minifridge. Anybody else use these. I am afraid I ruined the last batch of beer (as far as good taste is concerned) by letting it get too hot the first few days of fementation.I won't brew again until I can control the temps.
Thanks

I can't comment on the wine cooler, but a minifridge will get you down to about 34F. Which ever solution you go for, you will want to wire it into a temp controller with a probe so that you can keep fermentation in the right range, otherwise it will just chill it to death.

Just use a swamp cooler for fermentation. I don't think the warmth will hurt you too much during carbonation. Follow Nordeastbrewer's blog here.

That is a good idea if you are there each day but we are gone several days at a time and this old house gets pretty warm when we are not there. I can get the temp down in the evening when we are there but during the day it gets up over 80, sometimes much higher in the summer. I know the fluctionations are bad for my brew.

i think most likely you will need a controller anyway, i got mine from ebay for $25 or so and its perfect (dual, controls heating and cooling), i also dont have a space for full chest freezer so im using plastic tote filled with water that i recalculate through small cooling element, i am able to control temperature of 10gal fermenting wort anywhere between 55 and 80 F

can you go into more detail about how you cool and recalibrate this setup?
Thanks.

Back