Malt Syrup Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyemustard

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just recently started homebrewing, and I've got a couple brews (kits) under my belt already. So, feeling more confident I skimmed my directions rather than study them on my latest ipa. The recipe called for adding 3.15lbs of malt syrup at first boil and 6lbs of syrup 15 mins before the end of the 60min boil. I added all the syrup right away. I'm not too worried that it will be ruined, I'm just curious if anyone knows how this will affect the final product. Thanks guys!

It won't be ruined, just different - I can't help you past that really. I seem to remember reading something about adding sugars (LME/DME etc) late into the boil will increase the head and body, but I could be wrong.

Adding the extract late in the boil will keep it from darkening and caramelizing. It also can increase hop utilization, as the wort will be less concentrated during the majority of the boil. IMO the main reason to add late is to keep the beer color on the lighter side.

so now your getting less hop utilization and will be less bitter.Is this a full boil?

Back